Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Perturbation theory and spin

1. Jun 24, 2010 #1
    In my quest to learn quantum mechanics I've become a little confused and I have a question.
    It is "In The Feynman Lectures on Physics Volume 3, is most of the work, eg. ammonia molecule done using perturbation theory or is this method something else, not perturbation theory?"
    I started to learn a little about perturbation theory elsewhere, and it seemed similar but not quite the same, so I'm a little foggy about this.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2010 #2
    I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what it is that you're asking?

4. Jun 25, 2010 #3
    In the Feynman Lectures on Physics, Volume 3, Feynman uses a an approximation of treating systems as two state systems. Is this the same as perturbation theory, or is it a different method?

5. Jun 25, 2010 #4
    I think the best answer, infuriating as it may be, is "yes".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perturbation_theory

You can see there are elements of it there, but it's not a pure treatment for the reasons you mention, I think.

6. Jun 25, 2010 #5
    Haha thanks for that, why infuriating?

7. Jun 25, 2010 #6
    Generally people finding that the answer is "yes" to a yes or no question is infuriating. I'm glad you don't! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook