Understand Quantum-Confined Stark Effect in Nanoparticles

But if you do not have an x_0, there's no way you can get a first-order effect.In summary, the first order correction to the energy levels for odd n and even n is 0 due to the symmetry of the unperturbed stationary solutions and the fact that the perturbation does not displace the center of gravity of the probability density. Higher-order corrections may result in non-zero effects, but this is not seen in first-order perturbation. The assumption of constant q and F is correct, but x as the operator may need to be considered in higher-order perturbation.
scarecrow
Please help me try to understand this problem. It deals with the quantum-confined Stark effect in nanoparticles.

For odd n, n = 1, 3, 5, ...
[tex]\psi_{n}(x) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{a}} \cos (\frac{n \pi x}{a})[/tex]

and for even n = 2, 4, 6, ...
[tex]\psi_{n}(x) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{a}} \sin (\frac{n \pi x}{a})[/tex]

and the zeroth order energy levels are

[tex]E_{n} = \frac{h^2 \pi^2 n^2}{2ma^2}[/tex]

The external field pertubation, H' = -qFx , where q is the charge and F is the applied electric field strength.

Now here's my work for the first order correction to the energy levels.

For odd n:
[tex]E_{n} = < \sqrt{\frac{2}{a}} \cos (\frac{n \pi x}{a})| H' | \sqrt{\frac{2}{a}} \cos (\frac{n \pi x}{a})> = 0[/tex]

For even n, I still get 0 for the first order correction. I just know that isn't right, and I think I know why:

Am I treating H' = -qFx correctly by assuming q and F are constants and x as the operator?

Thanks for the help. :shy:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm actually not surprised you get 0 in first order. There is a mathematical reason, and a physical reason. The mathematical reason is that all the stationary solutions of the unperturbed system (which are the ones you are considering) are symmetrical, or anti-symmetrical, which means that after squaring, they are symmetrical. Now, your perturbation term is anti-symmetrical, so the overall product is anti-symmetrical, which gives you 0 after integration.

The physical (somewhat handwaving) reason is this: for stationary states, there is a symmetry around the origin. If you calculate the probability density for the particle to be somewhere, then you have just as much chance to be at -x than you have to be at +x. The "center of gravity" of the probability density of your particle, in a stationary solution, is at x=0. Now, for x=0, your perturbation is 0. So in first order, your perturbation does not alter "the center of gravity". It will be due to higher-order distributions, which will slightly deform (and not displace) the wavefunctions, that you will get effects - but that's something that is not seen in first-order perturbation.
You can get a better grasp for this as follows: imagine your perturbation was not Fx but rather F(x-x_0). Then there would be a net displacement of the center of gravity, and you would get a first-order effect, of the order of F x_0.

What is the Quantum-Confined Stark Effect (QCSE)?

The Quantum-Confined Stark Effect is a phenomenon that occurs in nanoparticles when they are placed in an electric field. It causes the energy levels of the electrons in the nanoparticles to shift, resulting in changes in their optical and electrical properties.

How does the QCSE affect the behavior of nanoparticles?

The QCSE can cause changes in the absorption, emission, and scattering of light by the nanoparticles. It can also affect their electrical conductivity and charge carrier dynamics.

What factors influence the strength of the QCSE in nanoparticles?

The strength of the QCSE in nanoparticles is influenced by several factors, including the size and shape of the nanoparticles, the strength and direction of the electric field, and the material properties of the nanoparticles such as their band gap and dielectric constant.

What are the potential applications of understanding the QCSE in nanoparticles?

Understanding the QCSE in nanoparticles has many potential applications, including in optoelectronics, sensing, and energy harvesting. It can also be used in the development of new materials with tailored optical and electrical properties.

How can scientists study and measure the QCSE in nanoparticles?

Scientists can study the QCSE in nanoparticles using various techniques such as absorption and emission spectroscopy, electroabsorption spectroscopy, and electroreflectance spectroscopy. These methods allow for the measurement of the changes in the energy levels and optical properties of the nanoparticles in an electric field.