Perturbative expansion of Beta function - Renormalization

In summary, Renormalization is a technique used in theoretical physics to remove infinities that arise in certain calculations in quantum field theory. The beta function, which encodes the running coupling constant g, can be expanded as a power series and the terms correspond to contributions from different loops in the Feynman diagrams. The first term, β0g3, corresponds to 1 loop and the second term, β1g5, corresponds to 2 loops. However, in practice, only a finite number of terms are considered in the expansion.
nigelscott
I am trying to understand the basics of Renormalization. I have read that β encodes the running coupling and can be expanded as a power series as:

β(g) = ∂g/(∂ln(μ)) = β0g3 + β1g5 + ...

However, I don't understand how this is derived.. I assume that the terms correspond to 1 loop, 2 loops etc. Can somebody help me out.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Firstly, let's define some terms. Renormalization is a technique used in theoretical physics to remove infinities that arise in certain calculations in quantum field theory. These infinities arise due to the fact that particles and fields can interact at arbitrarily short distances, leading to infinite results in certain calculations.

Now, let's look at the equation for β(g) that you have mentioned. This is known as the beta function, and it encodes the running coupling constant g, which is a measure of the strength of the interaction between particles. The beta function tells us how the coupling constant changes as we change the energy scale μ at which we are probing the system.

The beta function can be expanded as a power series, as you have mentioned. This expansion is known as the perturbative expansion, and it is an approximation that is valid when the coupling constant is small. The terms in the expansion correspond to the contributions from different loops in the Feynman diagrams that are used to calculate the beta function.

The first term, β0g3, corresponds to the contribution from 1 loop in the Feynman diagram. This means that it takes into account the interactions between 3 particles. The second term, β1g5, corresponds to the contribution from 2 loops in the Feynman diagram, which takes into account the interactions between 5 particles.

In general, the perturbative expansion of the beta function includes an infinite number of terms, each corresponding to the contribution from a higher number of loops. However, in practice, we only consider a finite number of terms in the expansion, as including an infinite number of terms is not feasible.

I hope this helps to clarify the origin of the terms in the perturbative expansion of the beta function. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

1. What is perturbative expansion in the context of the Beta function?

Perturbative expansion is a mathematical technique used to approximate a function by breaking it down into simpler, more manageable parts. In the case of the Beta function, it involves expanding the function as a series of terms that can be easily calculated and then combined to obtain an approximation of the original function.

2. Why is perturbative expansion used in the renormalization of the Beta function?

Perturbative expansion is used in the renormalization of the Beta function because it allows us to deal with the infinities that arise in the original function. By breaking the function down into simpler terms, we can isolate and remove the infinite parts, making the function more manageable and physically meaningful.

3. What is the purpose of renormalization in the context of the Beta function?

Renormalization is a technique used in theoretical physics to remove infinities that arise in calculations, and it is crucial in the study of the Beta function. By renormalizing the function, we can obtain meaningful and finite results that can be used in practical applications, such as in perturbation theory.

4. What are the main challenges in performing a perturbative expansion of the Beta function?

One of the main challenges in performing a perturbative expansion of the Beta function is dealing with large numbers of terms in the series, which can make the calculation very time-consuming and prone to errors. Another challenge is ensuring that the approximation is accurate enough to be useful in practical applications.

5. How is perturbative expansion related to other techniques used in the study of the Beta function?

Perturbative expansion is closely related to other techniques used in the study of the Beta function, such as dimensional regularization and the renormalization group. These techniques all aim to deal with the infinities that arise in the function and provide a more accurate and physically meaningful understanding of its behavior.