Ph diagram for a vapour compression cycle

In summary, the conversation discusses the positioning of point 1 on a ph diagram for a vapor compression cycle and how it can be either to the right or on the saturated vapor line, depending on the presence of superheating. The significance of point 2' is also questioned and it is determined that in reversible (ideal) cycles, points 2 and 2' coincide. However, in practical scenarios, there is irreversibility and the actual enthalpy after compression is higher than the isentropic compression value. The conversation also mentions that the example being discussed appears in the 4th edition of Cengel, but not the 7th. The significance of line 1-2 being isentropic is also discussed
influx

Homework Statement

5fc959.png

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I am trying to understand the above ph diagram (for a vapour compression cycle), In some examples, point 1 is situated as above in the image (i.e. to the right of the saturated vapour line) and at other times it's situated exactly where I drew the purple arrow (i.e. on the saturated vapour line). I am guessing this has something to do with whether there is superheat or not but it would be great if someone could explain.

Also, in some examples there is no point 2' (only points are 1,2,3 and 4). What is the exact significance of 2'?

In examples with no point 2', we are told that line 1-2 is isentropic but in the above example where there is a 2', we are told that line 1-2' is isentropic. Does this mean that in the above, line 1-2 is not isentropic? Why/why not?

Thanks a lot

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
influx said:
I am guessing this has something to do with whether there is superheating or not
Your guess is correct. Usually the utility fluid is chosen to have a low boiling temperature wrt the stuff to be cooled, so (given enough time for the heat exchange) there will be superheating.

For the analysis of reversible (theoretical, ideal) cycles points 2 and 2' coincide. In practice that's not useful (the compression would take forever). So in your picture there is some irreversibility and the actual enthalpy after compression is higher than what you would get with isentropic compression.

[edit] Your picture appears in Cengel 4th ed, but it seems to have gone in the 7th. It is sheet #18 here (with explanation and a worked out example on the preceding pages)

Last edited:
BvU said:
Your guess is correct. Usually the utility fluid is chosen to have a low boiling temperature wrt the stuff to be cooled, so (given enough time for the heat exchange) there will be superheating.

For the analysis of reversible (theoretical, ideal) cycles points 2 and 2' coincide. In practice that's not useful (the compression would take forever). So in your picture there is some irreversibility and the actual enthalpy after compression is higher than what you would get with isentropic compression.

[edit] Your picture appears in Cengel 4th ed, but it seems to have gone in the 7th. It is sheet #18 here (with explanation and a worked out example on the preceding pages)

Thanks for your reply.

So in my example, I am assuming that since line 1-2' is isentropic, line 1-2 isn't? Meaning that if the compression is said to be isentropic then it refers to an ideal cycle?

Yes on the first count. And if an ideal cycle is supposed to be reversible, then yes on two counts.

1. What is a "Ph diagram"?

A Ph diagram is a graphical representation of the physical and thermodynamic properties of a substance, usually a refrigerant, at different states of pressure and enthalpy. It is used to analyze and design vapor compression cycles, such as refrigeration and air conditioning systems.

2. How is a Ph diagram used in a vapor compression cycle?

In a vapor compression cycle, a Ph diagram is used to determine the specific enthalpy and entropy values of the refrigerant at different points in the cycle, such as at the evaporator and condenser. This information is crucial in calculating the efficiency and performance of the cycle.

3. What is the significance of the "Ph diagram" in refrigeration and air conditioning?

The Ph diagram is essential in refrigeration and air conditioning because it provides a visual representation of the thermodynamic properties of the refrigerant. This allows engineers to design and troubleshoot vapor compression cycles more effectively, leading to more efficient and reliable systems.

4. How is a Ph diagram constructed?

A Ph diagram is constructed by plotting the enthalpy and entropy values of a substance at different pressures and temperatures. This data is usually obtained from thermodynamic tables or software. The resulting curve on the diagram represents the saturation curve, where the substance exists in both liquid and vapor phases at equilibrium.

5. What are some common applications of a Ph diagram?

A Ph diagram has various applications in the field of thermodynamics and engineering, particularly in the design and analysis of vapor compression cycles. It is also used in refrigeration and air conditioning, power generation, and other industrial processes involving the use of fluids. Additionally, it can be used to study the properties of different substances and their behavior under different conditions.