Phase difference between polarization and field?

In summary, the conversation discusses the Lorentz model and its equation of motion, which includes a damping term proportional to velocity. The equation of motion is then solved using a trial and the polarization of the material is calculated. The phase difference between the polarization and the field is found to be 90° on resonance, but it is not explained why. The polarization is also found to be imaginary when the frequency is close to the resonant frequency, which leads to the attenuation of the field as a function of distance.
Mixer

Homework Statement

Atomic losses can be described in the Lorentz model by adding into the equation of motion a damping term proportional to velocity. The equation of motion is then[itex] \partial ^2x(t) / \partial t^2 + \gamma \partial x(t) / \partial t + \omega_o^2 x(t) = qE/m[/itex]

Consider the optical field [itex] E(t) = E_o e^{-i\omega t} [/itex] Solve the equation of motion by using a trial and calculate the polarization of the material. What is the phase difference between the polarization and the field for very large and very small frequencies and on resonance? Calculate also the real and imaginary parts of the index of refraction by assuming that the material is rare (low density). Show that the imaginary part leads to the attenuation of the field as a function of distance (absorption).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My trial was [itex] x(t) = x_0 e^{-i\omega t} [/itex]

I was able to solve everything but calculating phase difference is the part I have not been able to do. How is it done? Expression for polarization I got is:

[itex] p(t) = {E(t)(q^2 / m) N} /( \omega _0 ^2 - \omega ^2 - i \omega \gamma ) [/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I was able to find out (it was written somewhere) that on resonance the phase difference is 90° But the material did not explain why it is so. What on Earth should I do?

Ok, I know that when [itex] \omega ≈ \omega_0 [/itex] the polarization is imaginary.But how does that help me (how do I regognize that phase difference is 90°?) ?

Related to Phase difference between polarization and field?

What is the phase difference between polarization and field?

The phase difference between polarization and field refers to the difference in the timing of the oscillations of the electric field and the polarization of a wave. In other words, it is the difference in the timing of the peaks and troughs of the electric field and polarization.

How is the phase difference between polarization and field measured?

The phase difference between polarization and field is typically measured in degrees or radians. It can be measured using specialized equipment such as a polarimeter or by analyzing data from experiments or simulations.

What factors affect the phase difference between polarization and field?

The phase difference between polarization and field can be influenced by various factors such as the material properties, the wavelength of the wave, and the angle of incidence. Additionally, the type of polarization (linear, circular, or elliptical) can also affect the phase difference.

Why is the phase difference between polarization and field important?

The phase difference between polarization and field is important because it can provide valuable information about the properties of a wave and the medium through which it is propagating. It is also crucial in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves and their interactions with matter.

Can the phase difference between polarization and field be manipulated?

Yes, the phase difference between polarization and field can be altered by changing the properties of the medium, such as its refractive index or thickness, or by using specialized devices such as polarizers or waveplates. This manipulation can be used for various applications in optics and telecommunications.