Phase operator in quantum optics

In summary, the conversation discusses a lecture on the quantization of free EM radiation and the uncertainty relation between phase and particle number. The speaker also mentions a review book on the phase operator and expresses admiration for the lecture's approach to quantum theory.
kith
Science Advisor
I recently got interested in some aspects of quantum optics and have a basic question.

There is an uncertainty relation concerning the phase and the particle number of a mode. How is this phase observable defined?

Where can I read about such basic concepts without dwelling deeply into higher order correlation functions and the like?

Physics news on Phys.org
Prof. Balakrishnan gives a great lecture on the quantization of free EM radiation in a cube. In the end of the lecture, he discusses one simple possibility way define the phase operator and shows that it leads to serious problems:

All lectures on QT should be like that - interesting, careful, pointing out also deficiencies of the theory.

I have found that there is also this review:

http://www.crcpress.com/product/isbn/9781584887607.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Jano, I am going to watch this. And wow to this review book, 500 pages about the phase operator alone. ;-)

Jano L. said:
All lectures on QT should be like that - interesting, careful, pointing out also deficiencies of the theory.
I completely agree.

1. What is a phase operator in quantum optics?

A phase operator is a mathematical operator that describes the phase of a quantum system. It is used to describe the evolution of the quantum state of a system over time.

2. How is a phase operator related to the concept of phase in classical optics?

In classical optics, phase is a measure of the position of a wave in its cycle. In quantum optics, the phase operator is used to describe the phase of a quantum state, which can be thought of as the position of the wave in its quantum state space.

3. How is the phase operator measured in experiments?

The phase operator cannot be directly measured in experiments, as it is a mathematical operator. However, its effects can be measured by observing the interference patterns of light or other quantum particles, which are dependent on the phase of the particles.

4. What are some applications of the phase operator in quantum optics?

The phase operator is essential in understanding and manipulating the quantum states of light and other particles, and has many applications in quantum information processing, quantum computing, and quantum communication.

5. Are there any limitations to using the phase operator in quantum optics?

While the phase operator is a powerful tool in quantum optics, it has some limitations. For example, it cannot be used to describe certain types of quantum systems, and its measurement can be affected by external factors such as noise and decoherence.