Phase space: a one-to-one mapping with all quantum dynamics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between classical and quantum concepts such as phase space and wave packets. The reader is left to infer the meaning of terms such as "quantum mechanics" and "history of wave packets." It is mentioned that there is a mapping between coherent states (special quantum states) and classical states, but the hilbert space is much bigger and there exist quantum states without a classical counterpart. The conversation also touches on the definition of special quantum states and the comparison between the finitude or infinity of quantum states and classical ones.
Loren Booda
Does the history of wave packets translate exactly onto infinite phase space, or is phase space incompletely (or redundantly) covered by quantum mechanics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you rephrase your question with a little more precision?

Phase space is a classical mechanics concept (specifically its the cotangent bundle of the configuration space). "Quantum Wave packets" is a very quantum notion.

Which map are you referring too? I suspect you are asking a question about the quantization procedure, but I cannot venture a guess as to which part.

I can only agree with Haelfix that the terms used in the original question, in their usual meaning, seem to be syntactically corrrect and semantically meaningless, which leaves the reader up to guessing what the original poster could possibly have meant. For instance, "quantum mechanics" does not correspond to a SET, so there's no map going from quantum mechanics anywhere. But, the reader can GUESS that what is meant is the state space of a certain quantum mechanical system (the rays in hilbert space).
As haelfix pointed out, "phase space" only has a classical meaning (the set of all positions and momenta of the system - more nicely put: the cotangent bundle of configuration space).
So we can GUESS again that we have to do with a classical system and its quantized counterpart.
Only, I'm at loss what might mean "the history of wave packets" as a map from Hilbert space into phase space. Well, I could guess one thing. If we drop "history", with some grain of salt we can take "wave packets" as more or less coherent states (special elements of hilbert space).
So exists there a map from the coherent states (special quantum states) into phase space ?
Answer: more or less. To each point in phase space (classical state of motion) corresponds a coherent state that is "the best possible quantum description of the classical state". But the hilbert space is much bigger. There exist a lot of quantum states that do not have a classical counterpart.

vanesch,
So exists there a map from the coherent states (special quantum states) into phase space ?
Answer: more or less. To each point in phase space (classical state of motion) corresponds a coherent state that is "the best possible quantum description of the classical state". But the hilbert space is much bigger. There exist a lot of quantum states that do not have a classical counterpart.

Thanks for your tolerating my incomplete knowledge of quantum mechanics. You translated my question admirably. How would you define a special quantum state (a wave packet or coherent state) in relation to Hilbert space? Are there a finitude or infinity of quantum states (special or otherwise) compared to classical ones?

Loren Booda said:
vanesch,
Thanks for your tolerating my incomplete knowledge of quantum mechanics. You translated my question admirably. How would you define a special quantum state (a wave packet or coherent state) in relation to Hilbert space? Are there a finitude or infinity of quantum states (special or otherwise) compared to classical ones?

Well, for some systems (harmonic oscillators) there is a precise mathematical meaning to it: they are the eigenstates of the annihilation operator. For other quantum systems, it can be more involved to find the best mapping between the quantum states and the classical states.

Have a look here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coherent_state

1. What is phase space in quantum dynamics?

Phase space is a mathematical concept used to describe the state of a physical system. It is a multi-dimensional space where each point represents a specific combination of position and momentum for all particles in the system. In quantum dynamics, phase space is used to describe the behavior and evolution of quantum states over time.

2. How is phase space related to Hamiltonian mechanics?

In Hamiltonian mechanics, phase space is used to represent the state of a classical system. It consists of all possible values of position and momentum for all particles in the system, and is used to determine the equations of motion for the system. In quantum dynamics, the concept of phase space is extended to include the probabilistic nature of quantum states.

3. What is the significance of a one-to-one mapping in phase space?

A one-to-one mapping in phase space means that each point in the space corresponds to a unique quantum state. This is important because it allows us to track the evolution of a quantum system over time by simply following the motion of a point in phase space.

4. Can phase space be used to predict the future behavior of a quantum system?

No, phase space does not allow for the prediction of future behavior in quantum systems. This is because, in quantum mechanics, the state of a system cannot be known with certainty and is described by a wave function. Phase space simply represents all possible states and their probabilities, but does not provide specific predictions for the future behavior of a system.

5. How is phase space used in quantum statistical mechanics?

In quantum statistical mechanics, phase space is used to describe the distribution of particles in a system. This is important for understanding the thermodynamic properties of a system, such as temperature and pressure. Phase space allows for the calculation of the probabilities of different states and their corresponding energies, which can then be used to calculate the thermodynamic properties of the system.