Phasor Mesh Current-what am I doing wrong?

In summary: The idea is that a positively increasing current flowing into one coil at its dot produces a positive polarity of induced voltage at the dot of the second coil. So you have to be attentive as to whether a positive increase in the mesh current will create a positive increase in the current flowing into the coil dot, or whether it will in fact cause a decrease.In summary, the student is struggling with how to incorporate a 600V at -30 degrees into the equations. The student also seems to be confused about the polarity markings on the coils. The student was able to correctly incorporate the 600V into the equations by transforming it into a different form.
teh_dude
Phasor Mesh Current--what am I doing wrong??

Homework Statement

Circuit diagram:
meshphasor.jpg

Calculate the phasor mesh currents, I1 and I2.

Homework Equations

KVL/Mesh Current analysis with phasors/complex numbers.

The Attempt at a Solution

Mesh 1: (-550@0deg) + j75(I1) + 30(I1 - I2) - j40(I1) - j24(I2) = 0

Mesh 2: (600@-30deg) + 30(I2 - I1) + j50(I2) + 80(I2) - j24(I1) = 0

(30 + j35)I1 - (30 + j24)I2 = 550
-(30 + j24)I1 + (110 + j50)I2 = (-600@-30deg)

I got:

I1 = (9.45503221553 @ -38.8333374187 degrees) A

I2 = (2.79176352576 @ 93.1719060416 degrees) A

This problem was even demonstrated in class. Yet the homework site keeps telling me I'm wrong. I don't see where I've made a mistake...?

Physics news on Phys.org

How did you incorporate the 600V at -30 degrees in your equations? You didn't show us that, so we can't find your mistake for you, if there is one.

Maybe check that the signs of the mutual inductance terms respect the dot notation and choice of loop current directions?

rude man said:
How did you incorporate the 600V at -30 degrees in your equations? You didn't show us that, so we can't find your mistake for you, if there is one.

How else can I demonstrate? It's there.

If you mean how did I mix polar notation with rectangular notation, I punched it all into the TI-89, in which the modes were set to degree, polar, and approximate.

Otherwise, I don't know what you're getting at.

Last edited:

gneill said:
Maybe check that the signs of the mutual inductance terms respect the dot notation and choice of loop current directions?

I don't entirely understand how to deal with the polarity marks, but I've tried switching plus and minus for the j24Ω term. It's my understanding that they should both be -j24Ω, multiplied by I1 or I2 respectively, but I've tried both minus, both plus, one minus, one plus, the other way around, and none of the answers are correct.

teh_dude said:
I don't entirely understand how to deal with the polarity marks, but I've tried switching plus and minus for the j24Ω term. It's my understanding that they should both be -j24Ω, multiplied by I1 or I2 respectively, but I've tried both minus, both plus, one minus, one plus, the other way around, and none of the answers are correct.

I've taken a closer look at your circuit and I believe that you have them correctly oriented. Sorry for the bother.

The idea is that a positively increasing current flowing into one coil at its dot produces a positive polarity of induced voltage at the dot of the second coil. So you have to be attentive as to whether a positive increase in the mesh current will create a positive increase in the current flowing into the coil dot, or whether it will in fact cause a decrease.

attachment.php?attachmentid=41401&stc=1&d=1322725464.jpg

Attachments

• Fig1.jpg
    Fig1.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 569

teh_dude said:

How else can I demonstrate? It's there.

If you mean how did I mix polar notation with rectangular notation, I punched it all into the TI-89, in which the modes were set to degree, polar, and approximate.

Otherwise, I don't know what you're getting at.

That is not a viable equation. You must transform the "600V@-30deg" the same way you transform components. Example: you didn't write "wL@+90deg" for the inductive impedance, did you? You wrorte jwL. jwL is the transform of wL@+90deg. Do the same for the 600V@-30 deg. I don't know what your TI-59 is doing & I can't guess.

I checked & your mutual inductance polarities are correct and in fact your equations are correct, except the second equation is not an equation. :frown:

Last edited:

1. What is Phasor Mesh Current analysis?

Phasor Mesh Current analysis is a technique used to analyze electrical circuits containing multiple loops. It involves representing the current and voltage in each loop as phasors, which are complex numbers that represent the amplitude and phase of the signals.

2. How is Phasor Mesh Current analysis different from regular circuit analysis?

Regular circuit analysis involves solving equations using Ohm's Law and Kirchhoff's laws. Phasor Mesh Current analysis, on the other hand, uses phasors to represent the current and voltage in each loop, making it easier to analyze circuits with multiple loops.

3. What equipment is needed for Phasor Mesh Current analysis?

To perform Phasor Mesh Current analysis, you will need a phasor diagram, a calculator capable of performing complex number calculations, and knowledge of Ohm's Law and Kirchhoff's laws.

4. What are some common mistakes made in Phasor Mesh Current analysis?

Some common mistakes in Phasor Mesh Current analysis include not properly labeling the currents and voltages in the phasor diagram, not considering the direction of the current in each loop, and not taking into account the phase differences between the currents and voltages.

5. How can I improve my understanding of Phasor Mesh Current analysis?

To improve your understanding of Phasor Mesh Current analysis, it is recommended to practice solving various circuit problems using this technique. You can also refer to textbooks or online resources for more detailed explanations and examples.