Mesh Current Analysis: Solve & Determine Magnitudes/Voltages

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem using the Mesh-current method and determining the current magnitudes and voltages across all elements. The attempt at a solution involves setting up loop equations and solving for the unknown currents and voltages. However, there are some discrepancies in the equations and the suggested step of eliminating the 3A mesh current. It is suggested to redraw the loops and equations to accurately represent the problem.
orangeincup

Homework Statement

Solve using the Mesh-current method. Determine the current magnitudes and the voltages across all elements

Homework Equations

i=v/r
i1+i2+i3..=0

The Attempt at a Solution

loop 1:
16(i3-3)+25i1-5i2=12
loop2:
4i1-5i2=15

1) i1=5/9i2-1

substituting 1) into loop2 gives
-25/9i2+5+16i2=-12
i2=1.1344

substituting i2=1.1233 into 1) gives i1=4.672

Can someone show me where I'm going wrong? I think I messed up the signs somewhere, I tried it a few ways and can't get it to satisfy KCL after I check my answer.

Attachments

• node.png
    node.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 399
Physics news on Phys.org
orangeincup said:
Can someone show me where I'm going wrong? I think I messed up the signs somewhere
That's impossible, because you have not sketched any loops or any currents ( except for i0 ).

You are the one to decide positive directions, etc.

My i1 is the middle loop (clockwise direction) and my i2 is the right loop (counter clockwise direction)
My i3 is the far left loop (clockwise direction) and the current was given as 3A

orangeincup said:
My i1 is the middle loop (clockwise direction) and my i2 is the right loop (counter clockwise direction)
My i3 is the far left loop (clockwise direction) and the current was given as 3A

orangeincup said:
loop 1:
16(i3-3)+25i1-5i2=12
loop2:
4i1-5i2=15

Given the above I don't see how you arrived at your two loop equations. If i3 has a given value, why does the i3 variable appear in the Loop1 equation? Loop 2 has a total of 16 Ohms in it, yet I don't see where your equation accounts for i2 flowing through that, nor how i1 is flowing through 4 Ohms for that loop when I see that a 5 Ohm resistor borders the loops.

I think you need to redo your loop equations. In general it's usually beneficial to choose the same loop direction for all loops (one reason has to do with some really handy and time saving matrix solving methods that you'll learn about soon) Here's a diagram to help:

Fig1.gif

I suggest that as a first step you might eliminate the 3 A mesh by moving its effect into the i1 loop as a fixed voltage source (due to its flowing through the 16 Ohm resistor).

@orangeincup
gneill said:
I suggest that as a first step you might eliminate the 3 A mesh by moving its effect into the i1 loop as a fixed voltage source
Your i3 = 3A, simply because i3 is the only loop-current that passes the current-source.

As for i2-loop you will get ( according to figure in #4 ):

+12V - ( 5 + 1 + 10 )Ω * i2 - 5Ω( -i1 ) = 0 ( i1 has opposite direction as to i2 )

And the equation as for i1?

Now, solve the 3 equations ( your calculator can probably do that simultaniously), or substitute i3 = 3A ( leaving 2 equations ).

i16Ω upward = i1 - i3 and so on.

Calculate the voltages by ohm's law.

1. What is Mesh Current Analysis and when is it used?

Mesh Current Analysis is a method used to analyze electrical circuits by applying Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) to determine the current through each "mesh" or loop in the circuit. It is typically used when the circuit has several loops and is too complex for traditional methods such as Ohm's Law.

2. How do you solve a circuit using Mesh Current Analysis?

To solve a circuit using Mesh Current Analysis, you must first identify all the meshes in the circuit and assign a current variable (I1, I2, I3, etc.) to each one. Then, write KVL equations for each mesh by summing the voltage drops around the loop. Finally, solve the resulting system of equations to determine the current through each mesh and use Ohm's Law to calculate the voltages and resistances in the circuit.

3. What are the advantages of using Mesh Current Analysis?

One advantage of Mesh Current Analysis is that it is a systematic and efficient method for solving complex circuits. It also allows for the calculation of individual mesh currents, as well as the voltages and resistances associated with each loop in the circuit. Additionally, it can be used to analyze circuits with dependent sources, unlike other traditional methods.

4. Are there any limitations to using Mesh Current Analysis?

One limitation of Mesh Current Analysis is that it can only be applied to circuits that can be represented as a set of interconnected loops or meshes. If the circuit has more than one source per mesh, special techniques must be used. Additionally, the method may become cumbersome for circuits with a large number of meshes.

5. Can Mesh Current Analysis be used for both DC and AC circuits?

Yes, Mesh Current Analysis can be used for both DC and AC circuits. However, for AC circuits, the currents and voltages are represented as phasors instead of regular numbers, and the equations must be solved using complex numbers. The same principles and steps still apply for solving the circuit, but the calculations are slightly different.