How Does the Photoelectric Effect Relate to Electron Kinetic Energy?

In summary, the explanation states that in an electric field, an electron's potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as it accelerates from the cathode to the anode. The final kinetic energy will be equal to the initial potential energy, and the potential difference (50V) drives this conversion.
kabtq9s
Hello,

This question is based on the passage to the left.
Please I need some one to explain it to me in "baby steps" if possible. I already read another explanation of it .. (posted below the picture) but i still can't understand how the final kinetic energy will be the same as the initial potential energy

especially since the explanation of a smiliar problem on this exams states that "The charged electron particles accelerate in an electric field. The electron starts with a velocity that increases as it approaches the anode through the vacuum. "

42.png

The other explanation: An electron is negatively charged, so it will accelerate from the negatively charged cathode to the positively charged anode. From energy standpoint, this is equivalent to the electron's potential energy being converted to the kinetic energy. If the energy of the photon that is used to eject the electron is only slightly larger than the electron's work function, then the electron has very little kinetic energy. In other words, its initial kinetic energy is approximately 0. When the electron reaches the anode, approximately all of its final kinetic energy is from the initial potential energy. Hence they are equal.

Physics news on Phys.org
but i still can't understand how the final kinetic energy will be the same as the initial potential energy

What don't you understand about it? The explanation pretty much says it all. Do you understand potential energy?

Drakkith said:
What don't you understand about it? The explanation pretty much says it all. Do you understand potential energy?

The question asks to compare the final kinetic energy to the initial potential energy. I imagine the electron as a ball on top of a waterfall. At the top of the waterfall it's potential energy will be at max, and when it finally falls and reaches the bottom of the waterfall its kinetic energy will be at 0 . So how can the potential energy equal the kinetic energy in this case.

Thanks in advance

kabtq9s said:
The question asks to compare the final kinetic energy to the initial potential energy. I imagine the electron as a ball on top of a waterfall. At the top of the waterfall it's potential energy will be at max, and when it finally falls and reaches the bottom of the waterfall its kinetic energy will be at 0 . So how can the potential energy equal the kinetic energy in this case.

Thanks in advance

You are supposed to consider the instant right before it hits, while it is still in free-fall, but has traveled the full height of the waterfall. At that instant, all of the gravitational potential energy the ball had when it was at the top of the waterfall has been converted into kinetic energy, so the two quantities are equal.

SpectraCat said:
You are supposed to consider the instant right before it hits, while it is still in free-fall, but has traveled the full height of the waterfall. At that instant, all of the gravitational potential energy the ball had when it was at the top of the waterfall has been converted into kinetic energy, so the two quantities are equal.

Ok that makes sense, thank you. But does the explanation in blue say the same thing? it looks more complicated, also where does the 50V fit in our explanation ?

Thanks in advance

Edit: Never mind, I think I understand now. The 50v is the potential difference between the electrons that will drive the kinetic energy

What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is a phenomenon where light, or more specifically photons, can cause the emission of electrons from a material's surface. This effect was first observed by Heinrich Hertz in the late 19th century.

What is the significance of the photoelectric effect in science?

The photoelectric effect is significant because it helped to confirm the particle nature of light and provided evidence for Albert Einstein's theory of the photoelectric effect. It also led to the development of modern quantum mechanics and has many practical applications, such as in solar panels and photodiodes.

What is the equation for the photoelectric effect?

The equation for the photoelectric effect is E = hf - φ, where E is the kinetic energy of the emitted electron, h is Planck's constant, f is the frequency of the incident light, and φ is the work function of the material.

What factors affect the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is affected by the intensity of light, the frequency of light, and the type of material. Increasing the intensity of light or the frequency of light will increase the number of emitted electrons. Additionally, different materials have different work functions, which can affect the energy and number of emitted electrons.

What are some applications of the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect has many practical applications, such as in solar panels, photodiodes, and photoelectric cells used in light meters. It is also used in various scientific instruments, such as spectrometers and electron microscopes.