Photoelectric Effect - Variables

In summary: The independent variable is the frequency of the light being emitted and the dependent variable is the Stopping Voltage. The threshold frequency is the dependent variable.
Pinchy444
1. A scientist is investigating the effect of different types of radiation on the surface of a piece of Sodium metal. He uses a freshly cut surface on a Sodium plate.

2. a) Which of the variables is the dependent and independent variables?
b) Why must the surface of the Sodium metal be carefully prepared?

3. a) I assume that the independent variable is the frequency of the light being emitted and the dependent variable is the Stopping Voltage.
b) I believe that the metal should be prepared carefully so as to avoid any impurities being found on the metal hence effecting overall experimental results. Am I correct for both questions?

Any help will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pinchy444 said:
a) I assume that the independent variable is the frequency of the light being emitted and the dependent variable is the Stopping Voltage.

Do not forget the threshold frequency as dependent variable.

Pinchy444 said:
b) I believe that the metal should be prepared carefully so as to avoid any impurities being found on the metal hence effecting overall experimental results. Am I correct for both questions?

Think of the chemical properties of sodium. It is very active, and it reacts easily by oxygen. If the surface layer is not removed before the experiment the photons interact with that layer first before reaching the sodium metal. Also the photoelectrons emitted can be trapped by the imperfections of the surface as you wrote and by the layer.

ehild

ehild said:
Do not forget the threshold frequency as dependent variable.

I have the independent variable as Frequency of light and dependent as Stopping Voltage. I don't understand how the threshold frequency is the dependent variable? Could you please explain further?

Appreciate it,

In the experiment, you measure current of the photoelectrons. Starting from law frequency light and increasing frequency, you get zero current below a specific frequency - the threshold frequency. That is, when the energy of the photons is equal to the work function.
When you detect current at all, you can change the voltage (you can consider voltage also an independent variable) and detect the stopping voltage when the photocurrent becomes zero. So the primary dependent variable is the current of photoelectrons.

ehild

Awesome!

Appreciate the help.

1. What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is a phenomenon in which electrons are emitted from a material when it is exposed to light of a certain frequency or higher.

2. What are the variables that affect the photoelectric effect?

The variables that affect the photoelectric effect include the intensity of the incident light, the frequency of the light, the type of material, and the work function of the material.

3. How does the intensity of light affect the photoelectric effect?

The intensity of light affects the photoelectric effect by determining the number of photons that hit the material, which in turn determines the number of electrons that are emitted.

4. Why does the frequency of light play a role in the photoelectric effect?

The frequency of light determines the energy of the photons that hit the material. In order for the photoelectric effect to occur, the photons must have enough energy to overcome the work function of the material and release electrons.

5. What is the work function of a material?

The work function of a material is the minimum amount of energy required to remove an electron from the surface of the material. It varies depending on the type of material and is an important factor in the photoelectric effect.