Photoelectric Effect: Troubleshooting Experiment Results

In summary, the speaker is experiencing issues with their experiment on the photoelectric effect, specifically with the results of the current varying with the potential before reaching saturation voltage. They are seeking advice on possible causes, but without more information on their setup and procedures, it is difficult to determine the exact issue. Suggestions include checking for leaks or buildup of material that could affect the photocurrent, and ensuring the setup is consistent with ohmic behavior.
venomxx
Hi there,

Im having a problem with the results I am getting for an experiment I am doing in relation to the photoelectric effect. My graph is very similar to that in the attachment, except for the fact that the line at A and again after the drop is sloping at a very steep angle to begin with.

To me this means that the current is varying with the portential before the saturation voltage is reached...does this make any sense? Should i be grounding something other then the obvious maby?

My setup is a zinc cathode within a copper tube under vacume. I am directing uv light from a mercury vaper lamp through a quartz window at the cathode.

Any thoughts would be some help, I am getting the correct work functions but I am curious to know why its different?

Cheers

Attachments

• photef1.gif
    photef1.gif
    3.3 KB · Views: 513
Physics news on Phys.org
As with many experimental issues, such a short description of methods and procedures will not be very useful to determine the exact cause. For instance, what is a copper tube exactly, and how is it oriented relative the zinc cathode, and what is the geometry of the cathode and anode, what is their spacing, etc. It will be very difficult to say without some real information!

Nevertheless, if it is linear it is consistent with ohmic behavior. If there is a leak in the vacuum tube or the gas is ionized, or if there is a buildup of material on the cathode/anode gap etc to provide a conductive path in addition to the photocurrent then you may see a sum of the two currents which would give something like the result you are getting. However, this may not be consistent with the voltages you are applying, again information would help. Good luck!

1. What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is a phenomenon in which electrons are emitted from a material when it is exposed to light of a certain frequency or higher. This effect is important in understanding the behavior of light and the properties of matter.

2. How can I troubleshoot my experiment results for the photoelectric effect?

There are a few common issues that may arise when conducting an experiment on the photoelectric effect. Some troubleshooting tips include checking for loose connections, ensuring that the light source is emitting at the correct frequency, and verifying that the materials used are clean and free of impurities.

3. Why is the intensity of the light source important in the photoelectric effect?

The intensity of the light source is important because it affects the number of photons (particles of light) that are incident on the material. A higher intensity means more photons, which can result in a higher number of emitted electrons and a stronger photoelectric effect.

4. Can the photoelectric effect be observed with all materials?

No, the photoelectric effect can only be observed in materials that have a sufficiently low work function (the amount of energy needed to remove an electron from the material). This means that not all materials will emit electrons when exposed to light, and the effect is more commonly observed in metals.

5. How does the wavelength of light affect the photoelectric effect?

The wavelength of light is directly related to its frequency, and this frequency determines the amount of energy that each photon carries. In the photoelectric effect, the energy of the photons must be equal to or greater than the work function of the material in order to cause the emission of electrons. Therefore, a shorter wavelength (higher frequency) light will result in a stronger photoelectric effect than a longer wavelength (lower frequency) light.