Conservation of Energy and Momentum in Photon-Electron Interactions

In summary, a photon with unknown energy strikes an electron at rest, creating an electron-positron pair. The photon is destroyed and the positron and two electrons move off at equal speeds in the initial direction. Using conservation of momentum and energy, the answer is 4mc^2, where m is the electron mass. Relativistic effects should also be considered in the solution.
quietrain

Homework Statement

A photon strikes an electron of mass m that is initially at rest, creating an electron-positron
pair. The photon is destroyed and the positron and two electrons move
off at equal speeds along the initial direction of the photon. The energy of the
photon was ?

The Attempt at a Solution

are we suppose to use momentum conservation?

or kinetic energy conservation?

do we have to factor in relativistic effects?

the answer is 4mc2

but i have totally no idea at all how to get that

i think the final mass = 1.5 m ? where m = electron mass

because positron and electron pair = 0.5 m , then add in the other stationary electron so 1.5m ?

this is confusing . greatly appreciate any help thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't worked it out myself, but see if you can first. You know that momentum is conserved and energy is conserved (or at least I'm telling you that it is a valid strong interaction that conserves energy if you don't know). You should use relativistic effects.

No idea what you are talking about with masses. The positron has the same mass as the electron, they are anti-particles.

oh ok. will try it. thanks!

FAQ: Conservation of Energy and Momentum in Photon-Electron Interactions

1. What is photon smashing electron?

Photon smashing electron is a scientific phenomenon where a photon (a type of particle of light) collides with an electron (a subatomic particle) with enough energy to cause the electron to be knocked out of its orbit around an atom's nucleus.

2. How is photon smashing electron possible?

Photon smashing electron is possible due to the principles of quantum mechanics, which explain the behavior of subatomic particles. According to quantum mechanics, particles such as photons and electrons can behave as both particles and waves, allowing them to interact and collide with each other.

3. What happens when a photon smashes into an electron?

When a photon smashes into an electron, the energy from the photon is transferred to the electron, causing the electron to gain energy and become excited. As a result, the electron may move to a higher energy level or be completely knocked out of its orbit, depending on the energy of the photon.

4. What is the significance of photon smashing electron in science?

Photon smashing electron is a fundamental process in understanding the behavior of matter at the atomic and subatomic levels. It helps scientists study the properties of particles and their interactions, which is crucial in fields such as particle physics, quantum mechanics, and photonics.

5. Can photon smashing electron be observed in everyday life?

While photon smashing electron is a common occurrence in nature, it is not something that can be observed with the naked eye. The phenomenon can only be observed and studied using specialized equipment, such as particle accelerators and detectors, in controlled laboratory settings.

Back