Photons for Dummies: Exploring Wavelengths & Effects

• Thread starter qwerty1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photons
In summary, all wavelengths of the EM spectrum have photons and travel at the speed of light, and experience the Doppler effect or redshift. It is possible to see infrared as red by traveling towards it at high speeds.
qwerty1
do all wavelengths of the EM spectrum have photons? do all wavelengths travel at the speed of light? do all wavelength experience the "Doppler effect" or "redshift" or only the spectrum of visible light i.e. could i travel really fast towards infrared and all of a sudden see it as red (i know the speeds are retarded but humor me please)? just curious...

Physics news on Phys.org
qwerty1 said:
do all wavelengths of the EM spectrum have photons? do all wavelengths travel at the speed of light? do all wavelength experience the "Doppler effect"

yes :-)

do all wavelengths of the EM spectrum have photons?
Yes.
do all wavelengths travel at the speed of light?
Yes.
do all wavelengths experience the "Doppler effect" or "redshift"
Yes.
could i travel really fast towards infrared and all of a sudden see it as red
Yes.

Mentz114 said:
Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

thanks guys!

What is a photon?

A photon is a fundamental particle of light that carries energy and has no mass. It is the smallest unit of light and behaves both as a wave and a particle.

What are the different wavelengths of light?

The electromagnetic spectrum includes different wavelengths of light, ranging from radio waves with the longest wavelength, to gamma rays with the shortest wavelength. These wavelengths are measured in meters, with radio waves measuring in kilometers and gamma rays measuring in picometers.

How do different wavelengths of light affect our perception of color?

Our eyes perceive different wavelengths of light as different colors. The longest wavelengths, such as red and orange, are perceived as warm colors, while the shortest wavelengths, such as blue and violet, are perceived as cool colors. Our perception of color is also affected by the intensity and combination of different wavelengths.

What are some practical applications of understanding photon wavelengths?

Understanding photon wavelengths has numerous practical applications, including the development of technologies such as lasers, fiber optics, and solar panels. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as astronomy, telecommunications, and medical imaging.

How do photons interact with matter?

When a photon interacts with matter, it can be absorbed, reflected, or transmitted. The type of interaction depends on the energy of the photon and the properties of the material it encounters. This interaction is what allows us to see objects and for light to be used in various practical applications.