1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Photons of energy 12 eV are incident on a metal. It is found that current flows from

1. Apr 20, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Photons of energy 12 eV are incident on a metal. It is found that current flows from the metal until a stopping potential of 8.0 V is applied.
    If the wavelength of the incident photons is doubled, what is the maximum kinetic energy of the ejected electrons?

2. Relevant equations

I am absolutely clueless. I feel like I'm supposed to use KE = hf - W but how am I supposed to know the frequency if it isn't given? So I don't think I'm supposed to use this one.
    Please just lead me towards the right direction. I don't have a clue as to which equation to use.

3. The attempt at a solution

This question is gibberish to me and I don't know how to even approach it. Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2012 #2
  4. Apr 20, 2012 #3
  5. Apr 20, 2012 #4
    Re: Photons of energy 12 eV are incident on a metal. It is found that current flows f

Fair enough, did you look at the third link on Google? The Yahoo Answer one?

6. Apr 20, 2012 #5
    Re: Photons of energy 12 eV are incident on a metal. It is found that current flows f

Yes but it doesn't say how you get wavelength. Although E = hf and f = c/wavelength.
    E = h(c/wavelength). In which case what is E?

7. Apr 20, 2012 #6

It does. What that person did was used the relevant equations and formulated an equation that related the wavelength to the maximum energy.

Ekmax = (h×c/λ) - (e×Vs-E)

Now plug in the data you know, and use two variables for the wavelength and solve for the ratio.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook