Help With Calculating Spring Constant and Energy in System

In summary, the spring constant was determined to be 61.9N/m and the total energy in the system was calculated to be 0.307J. The EPE and KE at a distance of 4.0 cm from equilibrium could be calculated using the fact that energy is conserved throughout the motion.
Ereny

Homework Statement

a spring stretches 8.0 cm when a 500. grams mass is hung from it.

a. determine the spring constant.the mass is originally pulled 10.0 cm from equilibrium position. calculate the total energy in the system, and the EPE and KE if the distance is 4.0 cm from the equilibrium ?

The Attempt at a Solution

i figured that out and its k= 61.9N/m

i figured the total energy which is .307J but i can't figure out KE and EPE

i really need help guys

Physics news on Phys.org
Ereny said:

The Attempt at a Solution

i figured that out and its k= 61.9N/m

i figured the total energy which is .307J but i can't figure out KE and EPE

i really need help guys

Remember that energy is conserved throughout the entire motion. So the total will remain constant throughout.

At any point during the motion, the PE+KE = Total Energy.

Can you get the PE when the mass is 4.0 cm from the equilibrium position?

Kk thanks I figured it out!

1. How do I calculate the spring constant of a system?

The spring constant of a system can be calculated by dividing the applied force by the displacement of the spring. This can be represented by the equation k = F/x, where k is the spring constant, F is the applied force, and x is the displacement.

2. What is the unit for spring constant?

The unit for spring constant depends on the unit of measurement used for force and displacement. In the metric system, the unit for spring constant is Newtons per meter (N/m). In the imperial system, it is pounds-force per inch (lbf/in).

3. What is the relationship between spring constant and energy in a system?

The spring constant is directly proportional to the potential energy stored in a spring. This means that as the spring constant increases, the potential energy stored in the spring also increases. The relationship can be represented by the equation U = 1/2 kx^2, where U is the potential energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement.

4. Can the spring constant of a system change?

Yes, the spring constant of a system can change depending on factors such as the material and dimensions of the spring, as well as the temperature and any external forces applied to the system. Changes in the spring constant can also occur due to wear and tear over time.

5. How do I use the spring constant to determine the force exerted by a spring?

To determine the force exerted by a spring, you can use the equation F = kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement. Simply plug in the values for the spring constant and displacement to calculate the force. Keep in mind that the force will be in the opposite direction of the displacement.