Physical aspects of our Solar System

In summary: For example: Sydney = -34.0, Brisbane = -27.5, Cairns = -16.8, Darwin = -12.4, Townsville = -19.3, Adelaide = -34.9, Perth = -31.9, Melbourne = -37.8, Hobart = -42.93. The fraction 2/Pi is a scaling factor which makes the formula work out to be 12 hours at the equator on any day of the year. I think it's about the same as the inverse of the average "number of days in a year".4. The formula is an approximation of the number of daylight hours, not the number of hours between sunrise and sunset.
decs
Consider the physical aspects of our Solar System that result in the Earth having seasons... how does this gives us variable hours of daylight.

How would i calculate the shortest or longest day for a specific point on earth?

cheers.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Err, what is your level of understanding of the dynamics of the Earth? I mean what do you know about how it travels around the sun? What measurements do you have about velocity of orbit, speed or rotation, tilt of axis etc..?

ever heard of www.google.com ? :biggrin:

Zurtex said:
Err, what is your level of understanding of the dynamics of the Earth? I mean what do you know about how it travels around the sun? What measurements do you have about velocity of orbit, speed or rotation, tilt of axis etc..?

i have absolutely no data about any of the prior. what i DO have is various cities locations and the amount of daylight they experienced on the 4th of July.

I should be able to extend these findings to make a generalisation about the hours of daylight for any latitude and longitude.

there should be a relationship that relates the day of the year, the hours of daylight, the latitude and the longitude.

decs said:
i have absolutely no data about any of the prior. what i DO have is various cities locations and the amount of daylight they experienced on the 4th of July.

I should be able to extend these findings to make a generalisation about the hours of daylight for any latitude and longitude.

there should be a relationship that relates the day of the year, the hours of daylight, the latitude and the longitude.
Yeah, I wouldn't imagine it's all that complex but you need to know a bit about ellipses and spheres.

However by the sounds of it you don't really have the mathematical knowledge to construct a method to work out day light given the latitude and longitude and the date. There are calculators all over the web that will just give an output for you though, like the above poster says, you could just use Google.

i formula so far is

12+(12/67)*latitude*cos(2pi.t)=hours of sunlight

where t=days/365

its ALMOST right ppl...

decs said:
i formula so far is

12+(12/67)*latitude*cos(2pi.t)=hours of sunlight

where t=days/365

its ALMOST right ppl...
May I ask how you derived that? I may be able to help you.

Edit: Oh and it clearly isn't right as it wouldn't work for extreme places like such as the north and south poles where there can be daylight for days.

I speant about 5 minuites attempting to draw out a model to caclulate it when I realized quite a lot of data. Anyway here is something I found while looking it up: http://www.spsu.edu/math/stinger/101-115/109.htm

I have a feeling that is a bit simplified but I think it might do you nicely.

Last edited:
I remembering figuring this one out years ago when I was a student. I'm not sure if the equation I got was exact, but I think it was pretty close. The formula I arrived at was

daylight_hours = 12 ( 1 + 2/Pi arcsin( tan(tilt) tan(lat) sin(2 Pi * n / 365.25) ) )

Where,
tilt = Constant of 0.4093 radians (23.45 degrees)
lat = Latitude of location on Earth.
n = Number of days elapsed since the northern hemishpere spring equinox.

Notes.

1. I've used radian throughout, just change each literal occurance of "Pi" to 180 if you want to use degrees throughout.

2. The equation should apply without modification to both northern and southern hemispheres provided that southern latitudes are entered as negative.

Last edited:

1. What is the composition of the Sun?

The Sun is primarily made up of hydrogen (73%) and helium (25%). The remaining 2% is composed of heavier elements such as oxygen, carbon, and iron.

2. How do the planets in our Solar System differ?

The planets in our Solar System differ in terms of size, composition, and distance from the Sun. The inner planets (Mercury, Venus, Earth, and Mars) are smaller and rocky, while the outer planets (Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune) are larger and gaseous. The outer planets are also much farther from the Sun compared to the inner planets.

3. What causes the seasons on Earth?

The tilt of Earth's axis is what causes the seasons. When the northern hemisphere is tilted towards the Sun, it experiences summer, while the southern hemisphere experiences winter. As Earth orbits around the Sun, the tilt changes, causing the seasons to change.

4. What is the Kuiper Belt?

The Kuiper Belt is a region beyond Neptune's orbit that is home to many small, icy objects such as comets and dwarf planets. It is believed to be the source of short-period comets that orbit the Sun in less than 200 years.

5. How does the Sun's magnetic field affect Earth?

The Sun's magnetic field can impact Earth in various ways. Solar flares and coronal mass ejections can cause disruptions in communication and technology on Earth. The charged particles from these events can also create beautiful auroras in the Earth's atmosphere. Additionally, the Sun's magnetic field helps protect Earth from harmful cosmic radiation.