Physical Optics : Air Wedge - Interference

In summary, the conversation is about a student struggling to understand a past exam question and answer involving interference of light. They have posted the question and solution online and are seeking help to explain the steps. The main confusion is about the equation for constructive interference and the significance of delta m. One person provides an explanation and suggests trying different values of delta m to find the first point of overlap. Another person points out an error in the second solution.
chickens
Hi there, I was doing some past year paper of my coming exam...and I got the answers for the question too, but one part I'm totally blur and can't understand that well... well here goes all the questions and solution:

http://server3.uploadit.org/files/chickens-phyQ.jpg

http://server3.uploadit.org/files/chickens-ans1.jpg

http://server2.uploadit.org/files/chickens-ans2.jpg

The part that I'm confused is with the part (b)...the answer given by both different book ... the solution seems...a little blur to me.

Unclear to me:

1. why "for the first time the two lights coincide, change in m = 1" ?
2. the long and madness working...i totally have no idea what is going on...

Anyone kind here could help me explain all the steps? I'm very blur... thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
no one could help to explain ? :(

Do you understand the meaning of this equation?
[tex]2 t = (m + \frac{1}{2}) \lambda[/tex]

There will be constructive interference (and thus a bright fringe) for values of m = 1, 2, 3, etc. You'll get a yellow fringe whenever a red and green fringe overlap. They can't overlap with both having the same m, so find the first point of overlap when [itex]\Delta m = 1[/itex].

yes that equation is for the condition to get constructive interference...but for the delta m...i know it can't have the same m, but can't the first point of overlap is when delta m = 2 or 3 or so on?

Sure, it could turn out that the first overlap happens at some higher difference. But the only way to find out is to try it and see. (You have to solve this problem semi-numerically.) Start with [itex]\Delta m = 1[/itex]. If that provides a solution, you're done; if not, then increment to [itex]\Delta m = 2[/itex]. And so on until you get a solution. Of course, this problem is a set up, so the solution appears with the first try! :wink:

ahhh, lol a set up q :P thanks for the explanation...

then what about the second solution? it seems simple but doesn't seem that right lol

error in second solution

I looked at the second solution. I believe it is incorrect. The mistake occurs when they say:
The distance between O and the thin film end is given by [tex]N_R x_R = N_G x_G[/tex]
Not so: The first fringe occurs at half the separation distance.

1. What is a physical optics air wedge?

A physical optics air wedge is a device that consists of two flat, transparent plates with a small gap between them. When light passes through the gap, it creates an interference pattern due to the superposition of the light waves.

2. How does an air wedge create interference?

The air wedge creates interference by causing a phase difference between the light waves passing through the top and bottom of the gap. This phase difference results in the formation of bright and dark fringes in the interference pattern.

3. What factors affect the interference pattern in an air wedge?

The interference pattern in an air wedge is affected by the wavelength of the light, the angle of incidence, and the thickness and refractive index of the plates. These factors determine the phase difference between the light waves, which in turn affects the interference pattern.

4. How can an air wedge be used in practical applications?

An air wedge can be used in various practical applications such as interferometry, which is a technique used for precise measurements of small distances. It is also used in the production of thin films and in the study of thin-film interference.

5. Can an air wedge produce both constructive and destructive interference?

Yes, an air wedge can produce both constructive and destructive interference. The bright fringes in the interference pattern are caused by constructive interference, while the dark fringes are caused by destructive interference. The location and intensity of these fringes depend on the thickness of the air wedge and the properties of the light passing through it.