Physics 11 - What is the relationship between the weight (N) vs mass (g)?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between weight and mass, with the conclusion that they are directly proportional. The individual is unsure of why this is the case and is seeking a simple explanation. The concept of force and its relationship to mass is also mentioned.
alliereid

Homework Statement

What is the relationship between the weight (N) vs mass (g)?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am suppose to predict the relationship between the weight vs mass. I'm guessing it's directly proportional but I can't explain why in simple terms? I graphed it and it came out a straight line so I know I am right but I don't understand why it's directly proportional can someone explain in simple terms as I am only in Physics 11?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, why did you guess that it's proportional in the first place?

Weight is just the force of gravity pulling downward on an object. Do you know the relationship between force and mass?

The relationship between weight and mass is that weight is directly proportional to mass. This means that as the mass of an object increases, its weight also increases. This is because weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object, and the force of gravity is dependent on the mass of the object. In other words, the more mass an object has, the more force of gravity is acting on it, and therefore the greater its weight will be. This relationship can be represented by the equation W = mg, where W is weight, m is mass, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This equation shows that weight is directly proportional to mass, with the constant of proportionality being the acceleration due to gravity. As a result, when graphed, weight vs mass will always result in a straight line, as you observed.

1. What is the difference between weight and mass?

Weight is the measure of the force of gravity acting on an object, while mass is the amount of matter in an object.

2. How are weight and mass related?

The relationship between weight and mass is that weight is directly proportional to mass. This means that as mass increases, weight also increases, and as mass decreases, weight decreases.

3. How is weight measured and expressed?

Weight is typically measured in Newtons (N), which is a unit of force. It can also be expressed in pounds (lb) or kilograms (kg).

4. How is mass measured and expressed?

Mass is typically measured in grams (g) or kilograms (kg). It can also be expressed in other units such as pounds (lb) or ounces (oz).

5. Is weight affected by gravity?

Yes, weight is affected by gravity. The greater the force of gravity, the greater the weight of an object will be. This is why an object will weigh less on the moon, where gravity is weaker, compared to on Earth.