What is the relationship between weight and length in a cord and pulley problem?

In summary: No.Try to answer these questions in sequence:What is the tension in the vertical section of cord above the left hand weight?What is the tension in the angled section of cord from the left hand pulley to the knot where the cords meet?What is the tension in the vertical section of cord above the central weight?What forces act at the knot?What are the vertical components of those forces?What equation represents the vertical balance of forces at the knot?What is the tension in the vertical section of cord above the left hand weight?Tension is found to be ##T_{AC}=p##.What is the tension in the angled section of
cwill53
Homework Statement
The cord CAEBD passes over pulleys A and B of negligibly small diameter. Two weights of p lbs each are attached to the ends C and D of the cord, and a weight of P lbs to the point E of the same cord. The points A and B are at the same level and the span AB is ##l##. Determine the distance ##x## between the level AB and the point E if the system is in equilibrium, neglecting friction and the weight of the cord.

Answer:
$$x=\frac{Pl}{2\sqrt{4p^2-P^2}}$$
Relevant Equations
$$\sum \vec{F}=m\vec{a}$$
I've deduced that the weight of each weight p is half that of the weight P, and likewise P= 2p.
Here's the diagram for the problem:
IMG_6893.jpg

As you can see, the length x is equal to the height of the triangle AEB.
I know that if a triangle has equal sides of length ##a## and a base of length ##b##, the height h can be simplified to:
$$h=\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{4a^2-b^2}$$

I just don't see how to find the sides ##a##, which are AE and EB in this example, in terms of the weights, and the proportionality/relationship between the weights and these lengths.

Physics news on Phys.org
cwill53 said:
I've deduced that the weight of each weight p is half that of the weight P
A remarkable achievement.
Did you notice that according to the book answer that makes x infinite?

Likes scottdave
haruspex said:
A remarkable achievement.
Did you notice that according to the book answer that makes x infinite?
No. If that’s the case I don’t know how to solve the problem.
When I try to solve these problems I try not to keep the answer in mind.

cwill53 said:
Ok, but it means your deduction was wrong, and you have not explained how you deduced it.
The usual way to solve an equilibrium problem is to write equations expressing the balance of forces. Create variables for the tensions and write those equations.

Likes cwill53
haruspex said:
Ok, but it means your deduction was wrong, and you have not explained how you deduced it.
The usual way to solve an equilibrium problem is to write equations expressing the balance of forces. Create variables for the tensions and write those equations.
What I got was that the x-components cancel and you have for the y direction:

p lbs + p lbs = P lbs

I also see that the sides AE and EB are equal to ##\frac{\sqrt{4x^2-l^2}}{2}##.

Does 2p = -P?

Last edited:
cwill53 said:
the x-components cancel
Yes.
cwill53 said:
for the y direction: p lbs + p lbs = P lbs
I already indicated that is wrong, and you are still not providing any basis for that claim.
What are the tensions in the cords? What is the vertical balance equation at the point where they meet?

haruspex said:
Yes.

I already indicated that is wrong, and you are still not providing any basis for that claim.
What are the tensions in the cords? What is the vertical balance equation at the point where they meet?
The basis was the y equation I gave in the last comment. I don’t see what other forces are involved besides P and the two loads of p.
Wouldn’t the tension in the cords each be (P/2)-p?

cwill53 said:
The basis was the y equation I gave in the last comment.
Your starting equations must be based on physical laws. Your equation in post #5 appears out of nowhere.
cwill53 said:
Wouldn’t the tension in the cords each be (P/2)-p?
No.
Try to answer these questions in sequence:
  1. What is the tension in the vertical section of cord above the left hand weight?
  2. What is the tension in the angled section of cord from the left hand pulley to the knot where the cords meet?
  3. What is the tension in the vertical section of cord above the central weight?
  4. What forces act at the knot?
  5. What are the vertical components of those forces?
  6. What equation represents the vertical balance of forces at the knot?

Likes cwill53
haruspex said:
Your starting equations must be based on physical laws. Your equation in post #5 appears out of nowhere.

No.
Try to answer these questions in sequence:
  1. What is the tension in the vertical section of cord above the left hand weight?
  2. What is the tension in the angled section of cord from the left hand pulley to the knot where the cords meet?
  3. What is the tension in the vertical section of cord above the central weight?
  4. What forces act at the knot?
  5. What are the vertical components of those forces?
  6. What equation represents the vertical balance of forces at the knot?
I got ##T_{AC}=p##

How do you find number 2? I don't quite understand how the forces of p and the centerweight are interacting.

Last edited:
the shortest way is to find critical points of the potential energy I guess

wrobel said:
the shortest way is to find critical points of the potential energy I guess
I'm not sure how to solve the problem as there are no angles for me to find the components of the tensions in BE and AE with.

cwill53 said:
I'm not sure how to solve the problem as there are no angles for me to find the components of the tensions in BE and AE with.
You don't need the angles as such, just their sines and cosines. You have those in the form of x and L.

Likes cwill53 and Lnewqban
cwill53 said:
Perhaps this could help you:
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wire-rope-slings-d_1613.html

The angle respect to a vertical line (direction of the gravity force) formed by the sections AE and BE of the rope makes the magnitude of the tension of each be greater than half the weight of the central mass P.

The smaller height x becomes respect to distance l, the bigger those tensions become, up to the theoretical value of infinite if x could become zero.

Rather than having those pulleys and equal masses p keeping the system in equilibrium (the big mass P stays suspended in midair), imagine you and a friend would be pulling from ropes AE and BE each.

You would soon note that the higher you try to keep mass P, the harder each of you would need to pull the rope.
You would never be able to keep sections AE and BE on a horizontal line, certain triangle ABE would naturally form, no matter how hard you both pull.

You could also feel that allowing the mass P to descend would reduce the individual pulling effort, which only then would tend to be half the weight of mass P.
Therefore, for keeping a triangle ABE of proportions similar to the one shown in the schematic, each mass p must weight much more than half the weight of mass P.

Likes cwill53
haruspex said:
You don't need the angles as such, just their sines and cosines. You have those in the form of x and L.
Is p the vertical component of force of the in each of the two sections of the rope AE and BE?

If it is that means that P would be equal to ##2psin\alpha##, where ##\alpha## is the angle between AE and CE, equal to the angle between BE and DE.

cwill53 said:
Is p the vertical component of force of the in each of the two sections of the rope AE and BE?
No.
You got the tension in AC correctly as being p. How should that relate to the tension in AE? Think about the pulley at A. If the two tensions are not equal, what will happen?

Likes Lnewqban
haruspex said:
No.
You got the tension in AC correctly as being p. How should that relate to the tension in AE? Think about the pulley at A. If the two tensions are not equal, what will happen?
If the two tensions weren't equal, there would be a net force and therefore acceleration in the system.
P would still be equal to ##2psin\alpha##, ##\alpha## being the angle between the AE and CE which is equal to the angle between BE and DE, right?

I finally figured it out, I'll post this for anyone stuck on a similar problem.

$$y:T_{AC}=T_{BD}=T_{AE}=T_{BE}=p$$
$$-P+2psin\alpha \Rightarrow P=2psin\alpha $$
$$psin\alpha \propto x; pcos\alpha \propto \frac{l}{2}$$
$$P=2p(\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^{2}+\frac{l^{2}}{4}}})$$
$$\frac{P\sqrt{x^{2}+\frac{l^{2}}{4}}}{2p}=x\Rightarrow P^{2}(x^2+\frac{l^2}{4})=4p^2x^2$$

$$\frac{x^2}{x^2+\frac{l^2}{4}}=\frac{P^2}{4p^2}\rightarrow x^2=\frac{P^2x^2+\frac{P^2l^2}{4}}{4p^2}\Rightarrow x^2(4p^2-P^2)=\frac{P^2l^2}{4}$$

$$x^2=\frac{P^2l^2}{4(4p^2-P^2)}\Leftrightarrow x=\frac{Pl}{2\sqrt{4p^2-P^2}}$$

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for calculating the relationship between weight and length in a cord and pulley problem?

The formula for calculating the relationship between weight and length in a cord and pulley problem is weight = length x force. This means that the weight of an object is directly proportional to the length of the cord and the force applied.

2. How does the weight affect the length of the cord?

The weight of an object affects the length of the cord in a cord and pulley problem by determining how much force is needed to lift the object. The heavier the weight, the longer the cord needs to be in order to lift the object with the same amount of force.

3. What is the role of the pulley in the relationship between weight and length?

The pulley acts as a simple machine that helps to reduce the amount of force needed to lift an object. It redirects the force applied on the cord, making it easier to lift heavier weights with a shorter cord.

4. Does the angle of the cord affect the relationship between weight and length?

Yes, the angle of the cord does affect the relationship between weight and length. As the angle of the cord increases, the length of the cord needed to lift the same weight also increases. This is because the force applied on the cord is divided into horizontal and vertical components, making it less efficient.

5. How does friction play a role in the relationship between weight and length?

Friction can affect the relationship between weight and length in a cord and pulley problem by creating resistance on the cord, making it harder to lift the weight. This means that more force is needed to overcome the friction, resulting in a longer cord needed to lift the same weight.