What are some recommended intuitive physics books for self-study?

In summary, the speaker is looking for intuitive physics books that will improve their knowledge and discuss ideas without heavily relying on mathematics. They also want suggestions on the order in which to study before delving into quantum physics and relativity. As an electrical engineer with a strong interest in physics, they have found Dover Publications to have a great collection of works, including books by Nobel Laureates. They also mention being impressed by Hewitt's book, "Conceptual Physics," and are curious if there are more books like it.
medwatt
Hello,
To cut a long story short, I'm looking for physics books starting from Classical mechanics and going on to relativity and quantum mechanics. But the types I'm looking for are the intuitive ones. I want a book which will improve my knowledge and not just care about solving problems. A book in which a lot of ideas are discussed and are not left for the reader to deduce without depending heavily on mathematics because I want them for self study. Really a book with a lot of phenomenons discussed that will make one very aware and think cautiously about everything after he's finished reading them. Secondly I would like a suggestion on the order which I should follow before going into quantum physics and relativity. BTW I am an electrical engineer with great interests in physics.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
For me Dover Publications has a superb collection of works in the sciences. I own many of them, and still want some others.

“Over a dozen Nobel Laureates appear on our prestigious physics list, including Richard P. Feynman, Albert Einstein, Max Planck, Paul A. M. Dirac, Gerhard Herzberg, Wolfgang Pauli, and the great Indian astrophysicist Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar.”
http://store.doverpublications.com/by-subject-science-and-mathematics-physics.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen a book called Conceptual Physics by Hewitt and really is a very interesting read. Are there more of such types books ?

1. What are some popular physics books for beginners?

Some popular physics books for beginners include "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, and "Six Easy Pieces" by Richard Feynman. These books provide a good introduction to the basic concepts of physics in an accessible manner.

2. Are there any physics books that cover advanced topics?

Yes, there are many physics books that cover advanced topics such as "The Road to Reality" by Roger Penrose and "Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur" by Tom Lancaster and Stephen J. Blundell. These books are written for those with a strong background in mathematics and physics.

3. Are there any physics books that focus on a specific topic?

Yes, there are many physics books that focus on specific topics such as "The Fabric of the Cosmos" by Brian Greene, which delves into the theories of space and time, and "The Physics of Superheroes" by James Kakalios, which explores the science behind comic book superheroes.

4. Are there any physics books that incorporate real-world examples?

Yes, there are many physics books that incorporate real-world examples to help explain complex concepts. Some examples include "Reality Is Not What It Seems" by Carlo Rovelli, which uses everyday objects to explain the principles of quantum mechanics, and "The Physics of Everyday Things" by James Kakalios, which applies physics concepts to everyday phenomena.

5. Are there any physics books that focus on the history of physics?

Yes, there are many physics books that focus on the history of physics, such as "Einstein: His Life and Universe" by Walter Isaacson, which explores the life and work of Albert Einstein, and "The Strangest Man" by Graham Farmelo, which tells the story of Paul Dirac, one of the founders of quantum mechanics.