Physics BS then Aerospace MS or Engineering Physics MS?

In summary: I don't know. I'm just giving you my opinion. In summary, an aerospace engineer should consider a different degree if they want to pursue a career in space science.
lightningmil
I am currently pursuing a BS in Physics and a BS in Astronomy (a lot of the classes are the same). The thing is, I have been in love with NASA my whole life and thought I should go for an AE degree but multiple people who know aerospace engineers at NASA said not to go into such a "specific degree" (?) and instead to do ME or physics. Well I got out of AE in my college application which took me out of the engineering school and I chose to do physics. I thought I loved astrophysics but I just don't see myself as a researcher but more of an engineer. There is a "Space Science" option of physics at my school which also takes AE courses along with Physics courses up to Quantum II (so no Quantum III nor a Senior Thesis) I can't make myself let go of the astronomy BS so if I do the space science option, I will probably need one more semester after the four years. If I do the regular option, I will have loads of space in my schedule for senior year but the AE and ME classes are restricted to those majors. I was thinking that if I do the space science option, then the MS in AE won't be bad and if I do the regular physics option, I could do an MS in engineering physics (because it also sounds cool) but I will have to go into Quantum III which seems really hard and do a senior thesis which sounds scary. I was thinking of working more on satellites and space telescopes amungst other things an AE or EP would do. Can anyone help? BTW I am going to start my sophomore year in college.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Aerospace engineers said not to get an aerospace engineering degree? That sure sounds odd, especially when astrophysics is so different than aerospace engineering. How about speak to aerospace engineers yourself? Just email lots of people in the field and ask what you should do. I would imagine having experience in physics is good, but the mechanical engineering/aerospace engineering coursework seems much more relevant to what you want to do.

I think the reason they said not to major in such a "specific degree" is because they think I wouldn't get jobs for AE majors right out of the bat. You know? Maybe? Maybe they thought you should start out as a MechE and work your way up or something and then get an AE master's...

What is the difference between a Physics BS and an Aerospace or Engineering Physics MS?

The main difference between a Physics BS and an Aerospace or Engineering Physics MS is the level of depth and specialization in the field of study. A Physics BS typically covers a broad range of topics in physics, while an Aerospace or Engineering Physics MS focuses specifically on the application of physics principles to aerospace or engineering systems.

Can I pursue an Aerospace or Engineering Physics MS with a Physics BS degree?

Yes, it is possible to pursue an Aerospace or Engineering Physics MS with a Physics BS degree. However, some programs may require additional coursework or prerequisites in engineering or aerospace subjects.

What career opportunities are available with a Physics BS then Aerospace MS or Engineering Physics MS?

With a Physics BS followed by an Aerospace or Engineering Physics MS, you can pursue a variety of career opportunities in the aerospace or engineering industry. These may include roles in research and development, design and testing, or even management positions.

Is it better to pursue an Aerospace MS or an Engineering Physics MS after a Physics BS?

It ultimately depends on your career goals and interests. An Aerospace MS may be more suitable if you are interested in working specifically in the aerospace industry, while an Engineering Physics MS may offer a broader range of career opportunities in various engineering fields.

What skills and knowledge will I gain from a Physics BS then Aerospace MS or Engineering Physics MS?

From a Physics BS followed by an Aerospace or Engineering Physics MS, you will gain a strong foundation in physics principles and their practical applications in aerospace or engineering systems. You will also develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills that are highly valued in these industries.