Physics Egg Car Project Tips: How to Safely Transport an Egg from a 1m Ramp

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of creating a vehicle to safely transport an egg from a ramp 1 m above the floor using only gravitational potential energy. The vehicle must also fall and land on its wheels, and the grade depends on how far it lands from the ramp. The speaker suggests using Styrofoam to protect the egg and adding a weight to increase speed, as well as using 3 big wheels for balance. They also consider making a glider and suggest video recording the experiment for better analysis. They end by encouraging the listener to have fun and find examples online for inspiration.
Snow_11
I have to create a vehicle to safely transport an egg from a ramp 1 m above the floor. The car must be powered solely with gravitational potential energy, must fall and land of its wheels, and I get a better grade for the farther away it lands from the ramp... but I'm completely lost of how to construct this vehicle.

I was thinking of doing something with Styrofoam, to protect the egg, and maybe put a weight somewhere to make it go faster down the ramp to land farther away from the ramp, and use 3 big wheels (two in back and one in front) to balance it out when it falls... but even with this, I still have absolutely no idea how to construct it.

Any tips on how to build this successfully would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Make it and try it then refine your approach. This would be a lot more fun. Think of all the eggs you get to break.

I would also suggest video recording the experiment so you can view it frame by frame.

You should be able to find many examples online of how other students have protected egos during a drop.

Maybe you could make a glider to carry the egg.

1. How do I choose the best materials for my egg car?

When choosing materials for your egg car, make sure to consider the weight, strength, and durability of each material. You want to choose materials that are lightweight but also strong enough to protect the egg during impact. Some common materials used for egg cars include foam, cardboard, and plastic.

2. What is the best design for an egg car?

The best design for an egg car will depend on the specific requirements of your project. However, some general tips for a successful design include using a streamlined shape to reduce air resistance, adding shock-absorbing materials to protect the egg, and making sure the egg is securely attached to the car.

3. How can I test the performance of my egg car?

The most common way to test the performance of an egg car is by dropping it from a certain height and measuring the damage to the egg. You can also test its speed and distance traveled by using a ramp and measuring its velocity and distance.

4. Can I make modifications to my egg car after testing it?

Yes, you can make modifications to your egg car after testing it. In fact, it is recommended to make adjustments and improvements based on your testing results in order to increase the performance of your egg car.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when building an egg car?

Some common mistakes to avoid when building an egg car include using heavy or weak materials, not securing the egg properly, and not testing the car before the final drop. It is also important to follow any specific guidelines or restrictions given by your teacher or project guidelines.