Physics(experiment and uncertainty)

• Thread starter jinx007
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Uncertainty
In summary, the variable a varies as the square root of k divided by x^3 - b, where k and b are constants. The table shows the values of x, a, x^3, and the uncertainty (represented by + and -) for each row. The first column represents the values of x in meters, the second column represents the values of a in meters, the third column represents the values of x^3 in meters cubed, and the fourth column represents the values of 1/a^2 x 10^-3 in meters^-2. The uncertainty for each value is given in the second row of the table.
jinx007
A variable a varies as follows a= √ k/ x^3 - b where k and c are constant.

PLEASE I NEED HELP TO FILL THIS TABLE. I MUST INCLUDE THE UNCERTAINTY.FOR THE THIRD COLUMN I NEED TO (x)^3 THAT’S OK, BUT I AM HAVING PROBLEMS FOR THE LAST COLUMN WHERE THE ANSWER FOR THE FIRST ROW IS GIVEN IN THE TABLE
I include the dot to make the structure of the table visible because when i press on save the figures get mixed x/m is the first column, a/m is the second, x^3 is the third and the last is the fourth

X/m... a/m ... X^3/m^3... 1/a^2 x 10^-3 / m^-2
3.1... 5.41 +-0.02 ... (3.1)^3 ..... 34.2 +- 0.03
2.7... 5.31+-0.02 .....
2.0... 5.21+-0.02 .....
1.0... 5.16+-0.02......
-2.0... 5.09+-0.02... .....

+- ...> IS LIKE
+
- ...I CANNOT WRITE IT HERE THAT IS THE + AND - IS ABOVE EACH OTHER (UNCERTAINTY) TRY TO EXPLAIN ME THE FIRST COLUMN BY OBTAINING THE ANSWER.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
X/m... a/m ... X^3/m^3... 1/a^2 x 10^-3 / m^-23.1... √(k/9.261) +-0.02 ... (3.1)^3 ..... 34.2 +- 0.032.7... √(k/8.389) +-0.02 ..... 2.0... √(k/5.120) +-0.02 .....1.0... √(k/1.000) +-0.02......-2.0... √(k/4.000) +-0.02... .....

Related to Physics(experiment and uncertainty)

1. What is the purpose of conducting experiments in physics?

Experiments in physics allow us to test and verify theories and models, as well as discover new phenomena and relationships. They also help us to understand the natural world and make predictions about how it will behave in different situations.

2. How do scientists ensure the accuracy of their experimental results?

Scientists use various methods to minimize sources of error and uncertainty in their experiments. This includes using precise equipment, controlling variables, repeating experiments, and using statistical analysis to determine the level of uncertainty in their measurements.

3. What is the difference between precision and accuracy in experimental measurements?

Precision refers to how close multiple measurements of the same quantity are to each other, while accuracy refers to how close a measurement is to the true value. A measurement can be precise but not accurate if it consistently gives the same result that is not close to the true value. Conversely, a measurement can be accurate but not precise if it is close to the true value but has a lot of variation in repeated measurements. Ideally, scientists aim for both precision and accuracy in their experimental results.

4. How do scientists account for uncertainty in their experimental results?

Scientist use a variety of methods to account for uncertainty in their experimental results. This can include calculating the uncertainty of individual measurements and propagating that uncertainty through calculations, using statistical analysis to determine the range of possible values for a measurement, and reporting results with the appropriate number of significant figures to reflect the level of uncertainty.

5. How does the concept of uncertainty impact the reliability of scientific theories?

The concept of uncertainty is crucial in evaluating the reliability of scientific theories. A theory that is based on experimental results with high levels of uncertainty is less reliable than one with low levels of uncertainty. Additionally, as new experimental techniques and technology are developed, they may lead to more precise and accurate measurements, leading to revisions or even disproving of previously accepted theories.