Help Nash with Physics Final: 10 m/s^2 for Gravity

In summary, Nash needs help with several physics problems related to potential and kinetic energy, momentum, and forces acting on objects. He has attempted to solve the problems but is unsure about his answers and has various questions. He also needs help with visualizing and drawing diagrams to better understand the problems.
Nash77
Attached is my practice physics final. I need help! Below are my attempts at solutions... probably way off but maybe I just need a head start. Thanks for looking!

PS We are told to use 10 m/s^2 for gravity.

--Nash.

III.

1) at the top, all potential energy = mgh = 1*10*6 = 60
at the break point P: total energy = 60 = mgh + 1/2mv^2 = 1*10*1 + 1/2*1*v^2
60 = 10 + 1/2*1*v^2 50 = 1/2*1*v^2 10 = v
It is moving horizontally to the right when it breaks.
2) how far will the block travel?
Can I figure this out without time? I tried to use different formulas and got 5m, but I think that's wrong. I mixed up Vx with Ay so I think it's wrong.

IV.

KE of bullet = 1/2*0.01*100^2 = 50 J
I tried using conservation of energy, so KE for the bullet = 50 = KE for the Mass = 50 J
I got a height of 5.05 when this KE turns into PE for the Mass, but I'm sure it's not right to say KE is conserved... how do you know how much of it transfers to the Mass when the bullet gets lodged in the block of wood?

V.

1) Only two forces acting in the vertical direction, Weight acting down and Tension acting up. The weight = mg = 1*10 = 10 N. So the Tension should be the same, equal and opposite, since the rod is at rest. So Tension should be 10 N also, just acting up whereas weight is acting down. Is this correct, or do I need to take components of the tension?
2.) I said no force exerted by the wall, since there is no motion in the horizontal direction. Weight works down, so this shouldn't affect a rod attached perpendicular to the force of gravity.. but can there really be no force?
3.) Linear Velocity? moment of inertia = 1/3ML^2 = 1/3*1*1^2 = 1/3,
I know that Torque force = I*alpha (angular acceleration.) But how does angular acceleration relate to linear acceleration? How would I find either in this problem? Am I way off track here?

VI.

I'm going to try to work on this one now. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks for having patience with all of this... PS Don't be too harsh.. Physics isn't my best subject if you couldn't tell ;) Still, I'm willing to learn!

Attachments

• physics practice final.pdf
    119.9 KB · Views: 384
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, Nash...you've got quite a few problems in this post, and you may not get help for all of them when posting them all at once. You'd be better off posting IV, V, AND VI in separate posts, showing your relevant equations in addition to the attempt you have made and questions you are asking.

For part III, the velocity and direction at the bottom of the swing looks good. To get the horizontal distance travelled, look in the y direction to find the time based on the vertical distance travelled.

Thanks, I will do that right now.

While on this one thought, I've been working on IV. (bullet and block)

I found the momentum of the bullet, = mv = 0.01*100 = 1 N*s
This momentum should be conserved when the bullet is lodged in the block, so the system has the same momentum, 1 N*s, so 1 = (M+m)V = (0.99 + 0.01)V so the new Velocity is 1 m/s.

The system of block and bullet will reach the greatest angle when all energy is potential energy, so at PE = (M+m)gh = 1*10*h, solved for h and found it to be 0.05m.

I know I need to make a triangle somehow to find the angle, but I can't visualize it. How do I find the angle from these two heights?

Nash77 said:
Thanks, I will do that right now.

While on this one thought, I've been working on IV. (bullet and block)

I found the momentum of the bullet, = mv = 0.01*100 = 1 N*s
This momentum should be conserved when the bullet is lodged in the block, so the system has the same momentum, 1 N*s, so 1 = (M+m)V = (0.99 + 0.01)V so the new Velocity is 1 m/s.
Yes, very good
The system of block and bullet will reach the greatest angle when all energy is potential energy, so at PE = (M+m)gh = 1*10*h, solved for h and found it to be 0.05m.
you're on a roll, also correct.
I know I need to make a triangle somehow to find the angle, but I can't visualize it. How do I find the angle from these two heights?
Don't visualize it, draw a sketch. If h is 0.05 m, then the vertical distance to the pivot is .95 m, the length of the string is 1 m , and use trig to get the angle.

Thanks!

Another equation that worked out was replacing h (0.05) for L(1-cos theta) from an energy equation PE= mgr(1-cos theta). Any idea where that equation comes from?

1. What is the significance of "10 m/s^2" in the context of Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation?

In Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, "10 m/s^2" represents the acceleration due to gravity on Earth's surface. It is a constant value that is used to calculate the force of gravity between two objects.

2. How is "10 m/s^2" related to the value of Earth's gravitational field?

The value of Earth's gravitational field is also approximately 10 m/s^2. This means that objects near the surface of the Earth experience an acceleration of 10 m/s^2 due to Earth's gravity.

3. How does "10 m/s^2" differ on other planets or celestial bodies?

The value of "10 m/s^2" for gravity is specific to Earth. On other planets or celestial bodies, the value may be different depending on their mass and radius. For example, on the Moon, the value is approximately 1.6 m/s^2.

4. How does the value of "10 m/s^2" affect the motion of objects on Earth's surface?

The value of "10 m/s^2" for gravity affects the motion of objects on Earth's surface by causing them to accelerate towards the center of the Earth at that rate. This is why objects fall towards the ground when dropped and why projectiles follow a curved path when thrown.

5. How can "10 m/s^2" be used in calculations for objects in freefall?

When an object is in freefall, it is accelerating at "10 m/s^2" due to Earth's gravity. This value can be used in calculations to determine the object's velocity, displacement, and time in freefall.