Preparing for Physics Final: Understanding Waves and Frequencies

In summary: The speed, frequency, and wavelength of the wave you're trying to solve for.3. The equation for solving for a wave's period.4. The equation for solving for a wave's frequency.Once you have those four things, you can solve for the wave's speed, frequency, and wavelength.
Steezy
What's going on, guys. I have a Physics final tomorrow, and I don't understand these!

"What is the frequency of a wave that has a speed of 3 m/s and a wavelength of 8 m?''

"What is the period of a wave that has a frequency of 5 Hz?"

I'm assuming they're all simple, so if someone can please help me out, that'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF,

Steezy said:
What's going on, guys. I have a Physics final tomorrow, and I don't understand these!

"What is the frequency of a wave that has a speed of 3 m/s and a wavelength of 8 m?''

"What is the period of a wave that has a frequency of 5 Hz?"

I'm assuming they're all simple, so if someone can please help me out, that'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Take a look at the PF rules when you get a chance. We won't just do your homework for you, but we're more than willing to help you out if you show us what you've attempted so far (basically fill out the template that you deleted when you submitted your post). We don't make you do this just to be pedantic. This template is actually a really useful and systematic way to approach any problem, that is why it is there. In the mean time, I don't mind giving you a few hints.

Yeah, these are *really* basic problems. For the first one, you just need to know what the relationship between speed, frequency, and wavelength is. There is an equation that gives this, and it will be in your book or notes. Or, you can derive it by noting that a wave, by definition, travels a distance of one wavelength in a time interval equal to one period. Combine that with the fact that speed = distance/time, and you'll have the equation that I mentioned above.

For the second question it's the same approach: what is the relationship between period and frequency? You can easily find this in your book.

These are seriously just "plug and chug" problems. I.e. you can just find the right equation and plug numbers into it. You can get away with not even understanding any of the actual physics concepts (which you clearly don't). For future reference, it is a good idea to pay attention in class, and do the homeworks and readings. EDIT: and I'm not saying this to be a dick. I'm just advising you not to shoot yourself in the foot by putting yourself in a position where you don't know the most basic things the day before the final exam.

Last edited:
cepheid said:
Welcome to PF,

Take a look at the PF rules when you get a chance. We won't just do your homework for you, but we're more than willing to help you out if you show us what you've attempted so far (basically fill out the template that you deleted when you submitted your post). We don't make you do this just to be pedantic. This template is actually a really useful and systematic way to approach any problem, that is why it is there. In the mean time, I don't mind giving you a few hints.

Yeah, these are *really* basic problems. For the first one, you just need to know what the relationship between speed, frequency, and wavelength is. There is an equation that gives this, and it will be in your book or notes. Or, you can derive it by noting that a wave, by definition, travels a distance of one wavelength in a time interval equal to one period. Combine that with the fact that speed = distance/time, and you'll have the equation that I mentioned above.

For the second question it's the same approach: what is the relationship between period and frequency? You can easily find this in your book.

These are seriously just "plug and chug" problems. I.e. you can just find the right equation and plug numbers into it. You can get away with not even understanding any of the actual physics concepts (which you clearly don't). For future reference, it is a good idea to pay attention in class, and do the homeworks and readings. EDIT: and I'm not saying this to be a dick. I'm just advising you not to shoot yourself in the foot by putting yourself in a position where you don't know the most basic things the day before the final exam.

I appreciate the help. Yes, this was at the beginning of the year, and I did understand it at the time, just now I'm having trouble understanding it.

Steezy said:
I appreciate the help. Yes, this was at the beginning of the year, and I did understand it at the time, just now I'm having trouble understanding it.

Well, can you find the equations that I mentioned above that will allow you to solve these problems? You need:

1. An equation that relates wavelength (λ), speed (v), and frequency (f, or sometimes the Greek letter nu: ##\nu## is used).

2. An equation that relates frequency, and period (period is usually symbolized using T, or P).

A wave is periodic: in other words, it consist of cycles that repeat over and over again. The period of a wave is just the time interval required for one full cycle. Hence, the unit for period is just the second (s).

The word frequency is just what it sounds like. It's the "oftenness" of the cycle. The frequency tells you the rate at which cycles occur (i.e. how many cycles occur in a unit of time). Hence the unit for frequency is cycles "per second": 1/s, which we call a hertz (Hz).

Based on these descriptions of period, and frequency, can you see how they are related to each other? If I had a wave with a period of a tenth of a second (0.1 s), then how many times would it repeat in one second? This is the frequency.

Last edited:
for reaching out for help with understanding waves and frequencies for your Physics final. Waves and frequencies are important concepts in physics that can be tricky to grasp at first, but with practice and understanding, you can master them.

To answer your first question, the frequency of a wave is determined by its speed and wavelength. In this case, we can use the formula f = v/λ, where f is the frequency, v is the speed, and λ is the wavelength. Plugging in the given values, we get f = 3 m/s / 8 m = 0.375 Hz.

For your second question, the period of a wave is the time it takes for one full wavelength to pass a given point. The formula for period is T = 1/f, where T is the period and f is the frequency. In this case, we have a frequency of 5 Hz, so the period would be T = 1/5 = 0.2 seconds.

Remember to always pay attention to the units when solving problems involving waves and frequencies. I hope this helps and good luck on your final!

What topics should I focus on for the physics final tomorrow?

It's important to review all the topics covered in your physics class, but pay special attention to the ones that you struggled with or found challenging. It's also a good idea to review any formulas and equations that you will need to know.

Do you have any tips for studying for a physics final?

Yes, here are a few tips: 1) Start studying early and break up your studying into smaller chunks over a longer period of time. 2) Practice solving problems and equations, as this is the best way to prepare for a physics exam. 3) Make sure you understand the underlying concepts and theories, not just memorizing formulas. 4) Get a good night's sleep before the exam to help with concentration and retention.

What should I bring to the physics final tomorrow?

Make sure to bring any necessary materials like pencils, erasers, a calculator (if allowed), and a formula sheet if provided by your teacher. It's also a good idea to bring some water and a snack to help you stay focused and energized during the exam.

How can I manage my time effectively during the physics final?

First, read through the entire exam to get an idea of what types of questions are included and how many points each section is worth. Then, start with the questions you feel most confident with and come back to more challenging ones later. Don't spend too much time on one question, and make sure to budget your time so you can complete the entire exam.

What should I do if I don't understand a question on the physics final?

If you come across a question that you don't understand, don't panic. Take a deep breath and re-read the question carefully. If you're still unsure, try to eliminate any obviously incorrect answers and make an educated guess. If you have time at the end, you can always come back to the question and try again.