1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics for people with colds

1. Dec 10, 2005 #1
    I have a cold and need to gargle. I put a tsp of table salt into a waterglass, add warm water and stir. I immediate hear the ting-tang pitch of the spoon-hitting-glass slowly lowering as I stir. The solution is now cloudy. As I continue to stir the pitch now rises back to its beginning point as the solution begins to clear.

Why?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2005 #2
    I should add ... I then tried the same (adding warm water, stirring) but without adding the table salt. There was no (or little) pitch change.

4. Dec 10, 2005 #3
    Well, obviously it's the solid salt crystals changing the pitch. As you know, sound travels faster through solids than it does through water (well it usually does). I guess different materials also conduct (is that the right word?) different frequencies in different ways.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?