Physics Forums has helped me with my studies

In summary, the speaker expresses gratitude for the support they have received on a forum for their lab class. They explain that the class is structured in a way where they must work on their own and ask for help when needed. They also mention that the resources they have been using have been lacking but finding this forum has greatly helped them. They share their experience of struggling with the class last summer and express confidence that they can get through it with the support of others. They also mention their preference of working on problems for a few hours before seeking help. Finally, they receive advice to not worry about falling behind and to focus on understanding the concepts rather than just memorizing them.
daisyi
I just wanted to thank everybody that has helped me so far and will in the future. I know that I am new to this forum, but I want you to know how completely excited I am to have found a resource for help.

The class I am taking is a lab format, in which we must essentially work on our own from the textbook and asking for help whenever we need it. There are no lectures, and so all of the information that I learn is all from these packets of information and problems that are not nearly as complete as they should be. I also have a textbook, which helps tremendously, but the resources that I needed, until now, were lacking.

I took this same class last summer, and I couldn't finish it because it would take me so long to figure out each one of the problems, and my teachers were just frustrated with me, and I just couldn't get it. You guys have made it so that I can do much more work at home and even though I am currently behind (my own fault) I am confident that I can get through this quarter if I keep trudging ahead with everybody's support.

I also wanted everybody to know that I do work on every problem for 1-3 hours before asking for help. I would much rather work it out on my own, and usually I do, but sometimes I need some help.

Thanks again!

April

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
daisyi said:
You guys have made it so that I can do much more work at home and even though I am currently behind. I am confident that I can get through this quarter if I keep trudging ahead with everybody's support.
You probably will by that attitude!
BTW, as you no doubt have noticed, you learn in general a lot more from trying to solve, and eventually managing (perhaps with some help), a problem, than merely trying to remember the words and examples in your textbook.
Just one advice:
Don't worry overly much if you "lie behind" (in number of pages read).
By taking your time and working yourself into specific problems, and eventually understanding them, you will find that many of the techniques and ideas behind "new material" is merely variations of stuff you already know.

Hence, the learning curve in physics is definitely non-linear through time; there will be periods where you need to absorb and appreciate just a few distinctly new ideas, and other periods where you can speed through lots of various applications of the new techniques.

Good luck!

Dear April,

It's great to hear that Physics Forums has been a helpful resource for you in your studies. We are happy to have you as a part of our community and we are glad that you have found support and assistance here.

It can be challenging to learn in a lab format without lectures, so we understand the struggle you have faced. We are glad to hear that our resources have been able to fill in the gaps and provide you with the support you need to succeed in your class.

We appreciate the effort you put into working on problems before seeking help. It shows your determination and dedication to learning, and we are happy to assist you whenever you need it.

We wish you the best of luck in your studies and we are confident that with the support of the Physics Forums community, you will be able to overcome any challenges and succeed in your class. Keep up the hard work and don't hesitate to reach out for help whenever you need it.

Best of luck,

What is Physics Forums?

Physics Forums is an online community and resource for students and professionals interested in physics and related fields. It provides a platform for students to ask questions, seek help, and discuss various topics in physics.

How has Physics Forums helped me with my studies?

Physics Forums has helped students in various ways, such as providing a platform to ask questions and receive answers from knowledgeable members, offering study materials, and engaging in discussions that enhance understanding of complex concepts.

Who can benefit from Physics Forums?

Physics Forums can benefit anyone interested in physics, from students at all levels to professionals working in the field. It is a valuable resource for those seeking to expand their knowledge and understanding of physics.

Is Physics Forums free to use?

Yes, Physics Forums is free to use for anyone. However, there is an option to become a "PF Contributor" and support the site through a small monthly fee, which provides additional benefits such as ad-free browsing and access to exclusive content.

Can I trust the information on Physics Forums?

Physics Forums has a team of moderators who ensure that the information provided on the platform is accurate and reliable. However, it is always important to verify information from multiple sources for a well-rounded understanding of a topic.