1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Forums has helped me with my studies

1. Jul 8, 2004 #1
    I just wanted to thank everybody that has helped me so far and will in the future. I know that I am new to this forum, but I want you to know how completely excited I am to have found a resource for help.

The class I am taking is a lab format, in which we must essentially work on our own from the textbook and asking for help whenever we need it. There are no lectures, and so all of the information that I learn is all from these packets of information and problems that are not nearly as complete as they should be. I also have a textbook, which helps tremendously, but the resources that I needed, until now, were lacking.

I took this same class last summer, and I couldn't finish it because it would take me so long to figure out each one of the problems, and my teachers were just frustrated with me, and I just couldn't get it. You guys have made it so that I can do much more work at home and even though I am currently behind (my own fault) I am confident that I can get through this quarter if I keep trudging ahead with everybody's support.

I also wanted everybody to know that I do work on every problem for 1-3 hours before asking for help. I would much rather work it out on my own, and usually I do, but sometimes I need some help.

Thanks again!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

You probably will by that attitude!
    BTW, as you no doubt have noticed, you learn in general a lot more from trying to solve, and eventually managing (perhaps with some help), a problem, than merely trying to remember the words and examples in your textbook.
    Just one advice:
    Don't worry overly much if you "lie behind" (in number of pages read).
    By taking your time and working yourself into specific problems, and eventually understanding them, you will find that many of the techniques and ideas behind "new material" is merely variations of stuff you already know.

Hence, the learning curve in physics is definitely non-linear through time; there will be periods where you need to absorb and appreciate just a few distinctly new ideas, and other periods where you can speed through lots of various applications of the new techniques.

Good luck!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?