1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Help: Collisions

1. Apr 8, 2005 #1
    Hello,

Click here for scaned paper

Can anybody explain how to startup the questions? Thank you! :surprised

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2005 #2
    For the first question : use conservation of linear momentum and conservation of energy. That's all you'll need to do.

marlon

4. Apr 8, 2005 #3
    Be sure that you apply momentum-conservation in both the x and y direction of the frame of reference.

marlon

5. Apr 8, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The formula they gave looks weird...That [itex] \vartheta_{2} [/itex] is written as a function of [itex] \vartheta_{1} [/itex] & [itex] \cos\vartheta_{2} [/itex] :bugeye:

Since the problem reminds somehow of the classical HS theory of Compton effect,i assume that [itex]\vartheta_{2} [/itex] can be found exactly...

Daniel.

6. Apr 8, 2005 #5
    I AGREE (hey that feels strange :rofl: ). The formula i get has a v1' and a cosine of theta_1, instead of v1 * cos(theta2). It seems quite stupid to me that we'd set up a formula for theta 2 that actually contains the theta2

marlon

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?