Get Expert Physics Help for Collisions - Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, a group of individuals are discussing a problem involving conservation of linear momentum and energy in a frame of reference. They also mention a formula and how it appears to be incorrect. One person agrees with this assessment and points out a mistake in the formula.
naren11
Hello,

http://img219.exs.cx/img219/9273/lastscan19rc.jpg

Can anybody explain how to startup the questions? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
naren11 said:
Hello,

http://img219.exs.cx/img219/9273/lastscan19rc.jpg

Can anybody explain how to startup the questions? Thank you!

For the first question : use conservation of linear momentum and conservation of energy. That's all you'll need to do.

marlon

Be sure that you apply momentum-conservation in both the x and y direction of the frame of reference.

marlon

The formula they gave looks weird...That [itex] \vartheta_{2} [/itex] is written as a function of [itex] \vartheta_{1} [/itex] & [itex] \cos\vartheta_{2} [/itex] :bugeye:

Since the problem reminds somehow of the classical HS theory of Compton effect,i assume that [itex]\vartheta_{2} [/itex] can be found exactly...

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
The formula they gave looks weird...That [itex] \vartheta_{2} [/itex] is written as a function of [itex] \vartheta_{1} [/itex] & [itex] \cos\vartheta_{2} [/itex] :bugeye:

Since the problem reminds somehow of the classical HS theory of Compton effect,i assume that [itex]\vartheta_{2} [/itex] can be found exactly...

Daniel.

I AGREE (hey that feels strange :rofl: ). The formula i get has a v1' and a cosine of theta_1, instead of v1 * cos(theta2). It seems quite stupid to me that we'd set up a formula for theta 2 that actually contains the theta2

marlon

1. What is a collision in physics?

A collision in physics is an event in which two or more objects come into contact with each other and exert forces on each other for a short period of time. This can result in a change in motion or deformation of the objects involved.

2. What is the difference between an elastic and inelastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved, meaning that the objects involved bounce off each other without losing any energy. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost and converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.

3. How is momentum conserved in a collision?

Momentum is conserved in a collision because of Newton's Third Law of Motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that the total momentum before and after the collision must be the same.

4. How do you calculate the force of impact in a collision?

The force of impact in a collision can be calculated using the formula F = m x Δv / Δt, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, Δv is the change in velocity, and Δt is the time of impact.

5. Can you explain the concept of impulse in collisions?

Impulse is the change in momentum of an object and is equal to the force applied to the object multiplied by the time over which the force is applied. In a collision, the impulse can be calculated by multiplying the average force of impact by the time of impact.