What Are Different Ways to Define Energy in Physics?

In summary, the joule is not a base unit and can be defined by multiple equations such as Newtons * metres, Coulombs * volts, or watts * seconds. It is also equivalent to metres^2 * kilograms * seconds^-2. To find the combination of base units equivalent to the joule, one can use dimensional/units analysis to compare the units in an equation that represents energy, such as W = Fd.
gurrkin
Hey. Here are the questions I'm a bit stuck on:

1) The joule is not a base unit. There are several equations which could be used to define the physical quantity energy. Find at least two of them

2) Use one of the equations you have foundnto find the combination of base units equivalent to the joule.

I have searched the internet but cannot find any relevant answers?

I think it is along these lines, but I am not sure:

The joule is equal to:
Newtons * metres
Coulombs * volts
Watts * seconds

The joule is also equivalent to:
metres^2 * kilograms * seconds^-2

Any help and clarification would be much appreciated - thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to write equations down that express some kind of energy. For example, what equation has something that is measured in Joules on the left side and Newtons*metres on the other. Do the same for the other two products of nits that you have listed.

Hi. Thanks for your reply! What does the second question mean though? I'm struggling to understand. Thanks again.

gurrkin said:
The joule is also equivalent to:
metres^2 * kilograms * seconds^-2
That is more or less the answer to your second part :)
It is actually asking you to use dimensional/units analysis to determine the SI unit representation of the Joule. For instance with the equation W = Fd, by comparing the units on both sides of the equation, you can arrive at the SI units equivalent of the joule

1. What is the purpose of doing physics homework?

The purpose of doing physics homework is to reinforce the concepts and principles learned in class, and to develop problem-solving skills. It also allows students to apply their knowledge to new and challenging problems, which helps to deepen their understanding of the subject.

2. How do I approach difficult physics homework questions?

The best approach to solving difficult physics homework questions is to break them down into smaller, manageable parts. Start by identifying the relevant equations and principles, and then work through the problem step by step. It may also be helpful to draw diagrams or create visual representations to better understand the problem.

3. Is it important to show my work when solving physics homework questions?

Yes, it is extremely important to show your work when solving physics homework questions. This not only helps you to receive full credit for your answer, but it also allows you to identify any mistakes you may have made and correct them. Additionally, showing your work allows your teacher or professor to see your thought process and provide feedback on your problem-solving approach.

4. How can I improve my understanding of physics concepts through homework?

To improve your understanding of physics concepts through homework, it is important to actively engage with the material. This can include taking notes during lectures, asking questions in class, and seeking clarification on any confusing topics. It can also be helpful to review and practice problems outside of homework assignments to solidify your understanding of key concepts.

5. What resources are available to help me with my physics homework?

There are many resources available to help with physics homework, such as textbooks, online tutorials, study groups, and tutoring services. Your teacher or professor may also be available for extra help during office hours. It is important to utilize these resources to gain a deeper understanding of the subject and to improve your problem-solving skills.