Physics HW- falling Bodies, Part 2

In summary, the question is about a brick being dropped from a tall building and the time it takes to reach the ground. The solution involves using the equation y = y initial + v initial + 1/2(αt^2) and solving for t. The final answer is t = 5.72 seconds.
Medgirl314

Homework Statement

A brick is accidentally dropped from a window of a tall building and falls 160 m to the ground. How long does it take the brick to reach the ground?

2. Homework Equations [/b
y=y initial+v inital +1/2 (αt^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

y=0+0+9.8 m/s^2(t)
y=1/2(9.8 m/s^2)t
t^2 =2y/a
t=√2(160 m)/9.8 m/s^2
= √32.65 s
t=5.72 s

Is t=5.72 s the right answer?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You got it. :thumbs:

Thank you!

Could you possibbly look at my part 3 problem when you have a moment? Another user and I are waiting for someone to clarify. Thank you!

Medgirl314 said:
Could you possibbly look at my part 3 problem when you have a moment? Another user and I are waiting for someone to clarify. Thank you!
See my response.

What is the formula for calculating the final velocity of a falling object?

The formula for calculating the final velocity of a falling object is v = u + gt, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity (usually 0 for objects dropped from rest), g is the acceleration due to gravity (approximately 9.8 m/s² on Earth), and t is the time elapsed.

How does air resistance affect the acceleration of a falling object?

Air resistance, also known as drag, acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion and can decrease its acceleration. As an object falls, it experiences an upward force from air resistance that increases as its velocity increases. Eventually, the air resistance force is equal to the force of gravity, causing the object to reach a constant velocity known as terminal velocity.

What is the difference between weight and mass?

Weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object, while mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. Weight can change depending on the gravitational pull, while mass remains constant regardless of location.

Can the acceleration due to gravity change?

The acceleration due to gravity is a constant value (9.8 m/s² on Earth), but it can vary slightly depending on the location. For example, on the moon, where the gravitational pull is weaker, the acceleration due to gravity is 1.62 m/s².

How does the height from which an object is dropped affect its velocity?

The higher the object is dropped from, the greater its velocity will be when it hits the ground. This is because the object has more time to accelerate due to gravity over a longer distance. However, air resistance will also play a role in the object's final velocity.