Physics Lab Uncertainties: Natural Log Method

In summary, the conversation is about a physics lab where the speaker needs to calculate uncertainties using the natural log method. They provide an equation and a link to an image for reference. They are struggling with simplifying the equation in order to take partial derivatives. The speaker also mentions not knowing which equations to use and asks for help with dealing with the terms in the denominator.
CINA

Homework Statement

I'm doing a physics lab and need to do the uncertainties, and the method I'm using is the natural log method, hich goes like this:
(equation used was k*(x^a)*(y^b)*(z^c) )
http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/3663/lnform.jpg

The equation I'm doing:

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/4214/40303282.jpg

I'm just wondering how it simplifies (the right most part of the first picture) so that I can take the partial dervs. (The Inside of ln is my actualy equation, calorimetry.)

Homework Equations

I don't know, otherwise I would apply them!

The Attempt at a Solution

It's a pretty straight foward problem, once I see it down once I think I can do it all the time in the future. The main problem I am having is dealing with the things in the denominator.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
No one!? Is this not the correct approach? Would someone else use a different method to get an equation for the uncertainty?

1. What is the natural log method in physics labs?

The natural log method is a commonly used technique in physics labs to calculate uncertainties in experimental measurements. It involves taking the natural logarithm of each individual measurement, performing calculations on the logged values, and then converting the final result back to the original units.

2. Why is the natural log method used to calculate uncertainties?

The natural log method is used because it is a more accurate way to deal with uncertainties, especially when dealing with small or large values. It also allows for a better representation of the overall uncertainty in the final result.

3. How do you perform the natural log method in a physics lab?

To perform the natural log method, first take the natural log of each individual measurement. Then, perform the necessary calculations using the logged values. Finally, convert the final result back to the original units by taking the antilog (e^x) of the calculated value.

4. What are the advantages of using the natural log method?

The natural log method has several advantages, including being more accurate in dealing with uncertainties, providing a better representation of overall uncertainty, and being applicable to a wide range of values and calculations.

5. Are there any limitations to using the natural log method in physics labs?

While the natural log method is a useful technique, it does have some limitations. It may not be appropriate for all types of measurements and calculations, and it also requires a good understanding of logarithms and their properties. Additionally, it may not always provide the most precise uncertainty value, so it should be used in conjunction with other methods for more accurate results.