Advice for 1st Year Physics Major: Struggles & Successes

In summary, the speaker is a first year physics major who struggled with calc and physics last semester due to a lack of studying. However, this semester they are doing well in physics but only average in calc 2. They are seeking advice on whether they should stay in physics or switch majors. The other person suggests continuing with physics but focusing on improving in calculus as it is important in physics and other science and engineering fields. They also mention that a strong understanding of calculus is crucial in advanced physics courses.
Mgkov18
I am a first year physics major, and last semester I did poorly in calc and physics, due to a lack of studying and being new to college and all that. This semester I am destroying physics so far (not cocky, I have been studying and getting A's on most quizzes), but I am only doing average in calc 2 now, which I don't see as bad. So I was wondering if you guys have advice for me on if I should stay a Physics major and better hopes if I change it. I still love every aspect of physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Stay in physics but do better in calculus you have a lot to learn. Other science and engineering may also require calculus too.

Likes CalcNerd
Calculus becomes very important in physics. In the introductory physics a lot of the calculus is kind of glazed over at first because it's assumed that one is currently learning calculus alongside physics. After the introductory physics, a solid working knowledge of calculus becomes far more crucial.

Likes CalcNerd

What are the common struggles faced by first year physics majors?

Some common struggles faced by first year physics majors include adjusting to the rigor and pace of college-level physics courses, managing time effectively to balance coursework and other responsibilities, and grasping abstract concepts and mathematical principles.

What are some tips for success as a first year physics major?

Some tips for success as a first year physics major include staying organized and keeping up with readings and assignments, seeking help from professors or tutors when needed, actively participating in class and study groups, and practicing problem-solving techniques regularly.

How important is it to have a strong foundation in math for success as a physics major?

A strong foundation in math is essential for success as a physics major. A thorough understanding of mathematical concepts and techniques is crucial for solving complex physics problems and understanding theoretical principles.

What are some resources available for first year physics majors struggling with their coursework?

Many universities offer resources such as tutoring services, study groups, and academic advising specifically for students in the physics department. In addition, online resources such as Khan Academy and Coursera can provide additional support and practice materials.

How can first year physics majors balance their coursework with other responsibilities and commitments?

To balance coursework with other responsibilities and commitments, first year physics majors can prioritize tasks, create a schedule or study plan, and communicate openly with professors about any conflicts or challenges. It is also important to take breaks and practice self-care to avoid burnout.