Physics Major Schedule: Modern vs. Classical Mechanics

In summary, taking modern physics and classical mechanics in the same semester is a feasible option as they cover different topics and skills. However, it is important to not overload yourself with too many classes at once. It is common for physics students to take classes from different areas simultaneously, but it can be challenging. Ultimately, it is important to consider your own adaptability and workload before making a decision.
epislon58
Should I take modern physics and classical mechanics in the same semester? Or is that a bad idea. And my concerns are mostly about needing to understand stuff from modern to understand classical. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
They are quite independent - classical mechanics will teach you how to work with Lagrangian's and Hamiltonian's which are required for quantum mechanics; you will do a lot of partial derivatives, and hopefully learn about the calculus of variations.

Modern physics will cover a lot of - surprise! - modern physics! But it will emphasize the _physics_ and not the abstract calculations that are required for analytical mechanics or quantum mechanics. You should learn about quanta from the earliest physical experiments such as the photoelectric effect, the idea of photons, how a laser works, atomic spectra, electronic transitions, etc -- then some nuclear physics (E=mc^2 and more), and some relativity. It can be a great class.

I don't see a problem taking both as long as you are not otherwise overloaded.

It's typical for a physics student to concurrently take classes that focus on completely different areas and scales. It can be a bit mind-bending but you'll adjust.

Thank you I appreciate your input, I just hope my schedule won't be too overwhelming. I am adaptable tho so I should be fine!

how about taking a quantum mechanics class, nuclear and elementary particle , Atomic, Molecular, and Condensed Matter physics class at the same time?

epislon58 said:
how about taking a quantum mechanics class, nuclear and elementary particle , Atomic, Molecular, and Condensed Matter physics class at the same time?

Atomic physics, Particle physics and Condensed Matter physics are given in the same semester, atleast in my country.

Related to Physics Major Schedule: Modern vs. Classical Mechanics

1. What is the difference between modern and classical mechanics?

Modern mechanics is a branch of physics that studies objects moving at high speeds or on a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. Classical mechanics, on the other hand, deals with the motion of macroscopic objects at low speeds. It is based on Isaac Newton's laws of motion and has been the standard for hundreds of years.

2. Which mechanics should a physics major focus on?

The choice between modern and classical mechanics ultimately depends on the interests and career goals of the student. Both branches have their own benefits and relevance in various fields of physics. It is recommended to have a basic understanding of classical mechanics before delving into modern mechanics.

3. What are some topics covered in a modern mechanics course?

A modern mechanics course may cover topics such as special relativity, quantum mechanics, and statistical mechanics. It may also involve studying the behavior of particles in motion, the properties of waves, and the laws governing energy and momentum.

4. How does a classical mechanics course differ from a modern mechanics course?

In addition to the topics mentioned above, a classical mechanics course may also cover concepts such as kinematics, dynamics, and rotational motion. It focuses on macroscopic objects and their motion in relation to forces acting upon them, while modern mechanics deals with the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

5. Are there any prerequisites for taking a course in modern mechanics?

A solid foundation in calculus, differential equations, and classical mechanics is usually required for a modern mechanics course. It is also recommended to have a basic understanding of classical electromagnetism and thermodynamics, as these concepts may be relevant in modern mechanics as well.