Calculating Speed and Distance Using Acceleration and Time in Mechanics

In summary, the conversation revolves around a problem involving a car accelerating at a constant rate on a level road and passing through two photocells. The questions asked include calculating the car's speed as it passes each photocell, finding the distance from the start to the first photocell, and determining the time it takes for the car to reach the first photocell. The experts suggest starting by drawing a diagram and using the two equations x = x0 + Vt + 1/2at^2 and Vf^2 - Vi^2 = 2ax to solve the problem. They also point out that the car is accelerating, so the initial speed needs to be calculated separately.
burnu

Homework Statement

A car accelerates horizontally from rest on a level road at a constant acceleration of 3.00 m/s^2. Down the road, it passes through two photocells ("electric eyes" designated by 1 for the first one and 2 for the second one) that are separated by 20.0m. The time interval to travel this 20.0m distance as measured by the electric eyes is 1.40s.

a. Calculate the speed of the car as it passes each electric eye.
b. How far is it from the start to the first electric eye?
c. How long did it take the car to get to the first electric eye?

I know that this equation deals with Instantaneous acceleration or Instantaneous velocity, I just don't know where to start and how to get the ball rolling on working out the solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have the same problem for homework. But I'm not even sure where to start. That link doens't even help me because it says the same thing in my book. Which equations do I need to start with?

I always start problems like this with a good drawing, it always makes things easier. To solve problems like this you only need the two golden equations*. You don't need to consider any instantaneous acceleration or velocity in this problem(because there isn't any). I would start by solving question a. I think either one of the equations will actually work for part a.

*HINT: x = x0 + Vt+.5at^2 and Vf^2-Vi^2=2ax.

Thanks! I drew a picture but it just wasn't working.

Alright so let me get this straight:

a= 3.00 m/s2
x= 20.0 m
t= 1.40 s
v= 20.0 m/1.4 s

...which would mean that I have to solve for x0?

Sorry, but I have never taken a physics class until now and I'm just so confused.

You can't work out speed like that since the car is accelerating. For the speed at the first gate you have a distance a time and you know the acceleration. Now what you need to find is the initial speed. What equation has these elements in it so you can find initial speed?

1. What is the difference between kinematics and dynamics in physics mechanics?

Kinematics is the study of motion and its properties, such as position, velocity, and acceleration, without considering the cause of the motion. Dynamics, on the other hand, is the study of the forces and interactions that cause motion.

2. How do you calculate the acceleration of an object?

The acceleration of an object can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

3. What is Newton's second law of motion?

Newton's second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be represented by the formula F = ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

4. How is work calculated in physics mechanics?

Work is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. This can be represented by the formula W = Fd, where W is the work, F is the force, and d is the distance.

5. What is the difference between potential energy and kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or condition, such as gravitational potential energy. Kinetic energy, on the other hand, is the energy an object has due to its motion. The main difference between the two is that potential energy is stored energy, while kinetic energy is energy in motion.