1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics - Moments of Inertia, Angular Momentums etc HELP!

1. Apr 16, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A large disk of mass M and radius R is spinning like a CD of merry-go-round - that is, about an axis perpendicular to the plane of the disk. It is rotating at an angular velocity (omega initial). At some instant, a sphere of mass M/4 , which is initially not rotating, is dropped onto the disk at a distance of 3R/ 4 from the center. The sphere sticks to the disk and begins rotating with it. Find the final velocity of the disk-sphere combination.

2. Relevant equations

solid cylinder = I = 1/2 mr squared

solid sphere - I = 2/5 mr squared

(not sure if these are the correct inertia formulas)

3. The attempt at a solution

i have no idea...i don't even know how to start the problem....should i find inertia of disk first?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Total angular momentum I*angular velocity is conserved. You should treat the sphere as a point mass. You aren't given its radius - so you can't truly treat it as a sphere.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?