Getting a Master's in Physics in the US?

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between obtaining a Master's degree in physics in the US versus in Europe. The speaker, a Dutch Physics and Astronomy student, initially wanted to get a Master's degree in the US after completing their Bachelor's, but found that most US universities only accept students who are going for a PhD. They are considering getting a Master's degree in Europe first and then transferring to a PhD program in the US. The conversation also touches on the perception of a Master's degree in the US, with some considering it a "consolation prize" if the student does not go on to get their PhD. The speaker also mentions the differences in research freedom between US and European universities.
Olly4
I'm an Dutch Physics and Astronomy student, and if all goes according to plan I'll be getting my Bachelor degrees in both this year.
I was planning to get my Master in physics after this, and hopefully in the US, but when I started checking universities (UCLA, Berkely, MIT etc.) they all seem to have a strict policy of only allowing students who are going to get their PhD.
Now I would like to get a PhD, but that is 6 years of study and research, and since I'll be moving to another country for this, this is a long time. That's why I would first like to get a Master, which is 1 or 2 years, so I'll be able to see what it's like there.
But am I correct in my findings that this is not possible in the US at such universities?
Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe US universities don't typically have terminal masters programs unlike in Europe, some do but it's not the norm. Although I've been led to believe that sometimes weaker students are allowed to graduate with an MS after 2 years, but employers don't necessarily look upon this qualification favourably, being aware that it is more of a consolation prize.

You could get your MS in Europe, then perhaps US institutes would allow you to skip some of their graduate courses in the first 2 years and get straight down to research to finish the PhD slightly earlier, on the other hand some will insist you repeat them at their own institute, it's very variable.

In short, I think it's definitely possible to enrole as a masters student and then transfer to PhD, and vice versa. I would say look to enrol in a PhD where you are allowed the MS get out clause, rather than MS then transfer to PhD. I found the website www.physicsgre.com quite useful in all things to do with US applications and the physics gre test etc when I was applying, so perhaps someone their can help too.

Maybe you could just go over there for an open day, talk to students and hopefully get at least some feeling if a PhD and life over there would be for you.

Checking whether the living is going to be for me isn't the main point, as I lived in the US for about a year with my parents, and I've visited a couple of times on vacation.
It's more about the university itself, how the atmosphere is there. I've heard that we have much more freedom in research and how we do our research compared to US universities. For example in my 2nd year I got to work with a STM and NMR, and was told that we were lucky, because in the US no undergraduate would ever get to work with this sort of equipment.
And the MS in Europe isn't necessarily a terminal degree, you simply have to get it before you can apply to most PhD programs in Europe. Unless by terminal you mean that it's the only degree you get from the program.
I'll check out your site, but I think I'm going to get my MS in Europe first, and then see what I can do after that. Especially if a MS from US universities is considered a consolation, if you didn't get your PhD after that.

As LAHLH said, it's not the norm. In the standard US Physics program from a major research institution like you describe, the Master's degree is almost a throwaway that you just happen to acquire "on the way."

I can understand your desire to pursue a Master's degree in Physics in the US. However, it is important to note that the academic system in the US is different from that in the Netherlands. In the US, a Master's degree is typically seen as a stepping stone towards a PhD, and many universities have a policy of only accepting students who are planning on pursuing a PhD. This is because the focus of a Master's program is often on research and preparing students for a PhD program, rather than just coursework.

That being said, there are still options for pursuing a Master's degree in Physics in the US without committing to a PhD program. Some universities may offer a terminal Master's program, which is designed for students who do not plan on pursuing a PhD. Additionally, there are also non-traditional programs such as online or part-time Master's programs that may offer more flexibility in terms of time and location.

It is important for you to carefully research and consider your options before making a decision. You may also want to reach out to the universities you are interested in to inquire about their specific policies and programs for international students. Regardless of your decision, I wish you the best of luck in your academic pursuits.

1. What are the admission requirements for a Master's in Physics program in the US?

Most Master's in Physics programs in the US require applicants to have a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field, such as engineering or mathematics. Some programs may also require a minimum GPA, standardized test scores (such as the GRE), and letters of recommendation. Additionally, international students may need to provide proof of English proficiency.

2. How long does it take to complete a Master's in Physics program in the US?

The length of time to complete a Master's in Physics program in the US varies depending on the program and whether a student attends full-time or part-time. On average, it takes 1-2 years to complete a Master's in Physics program.

3. Can I specialize in a specific area of physics during my Master's program?

Yes, many Master's in Physics programs in the US offer the opportunity for students to specialize in a particular area of physics, such as astrophysics, quantum mechanics, or biophysics. It is important to research the program's curriculum to ensure that it aligns with your interests and goals.

4. Are there funding opportunities available for Master's in Physics students in the US?

Yes, there are various funding opportunities available for Master's in Physics students in the US, such as scholarships, grants, teaching assistantships, and research assistantships. These opportunities may be offered by the university or external organizations. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities early.

5. What can I do with a Master's in Physics in the US?

A Master's in Physics can lead to various career paths, such as research positions in academia, government, or industry, teaching at the high school or community college level, or pursuing a PhD in physics. Additionally, many companies in fields such as technology, finance, and healthcare value the analytical and problem-solving skills gained through a Master's in Physics program.