1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics of bicycle helmet

1. Jun 25, 2008 #1
    I am doing a lesson on Energy and Momentum and I am asked to write a report that includes sample calculations and examples, a thorough discussion of the principles of physics pertaining to energy and momentum, and apropriate diagrams and notations to demonstrate my understanding between the design and use of the helmet.

I am looking up google for information, and having some difficult time finding the right information, I appreciate if I could get some recommended links. I think they are asking me to demonstrate how kinetic energy is converted to potential energy during a crash but not quite sure how momentum is used (any help is appreciated) in the physics of helmets.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In a crash kinetic energy isn't converted to potential energy.
    It is converted into the energy needed to deform and break the helmet (mechanical energy)
    A more useful approach is accelearation. You know about f = ma?
    The point of the helmet is to slow down the rate at which your head stops, by increasing the 't' in a = v / t, by taking time to deform it slows your head down more gently and so reduces the force.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2008
  4. Jun 25, 2008 #3

rcgldr

Homework Helper

Make that increasing the time.

A helmet does two things: 1 - increases the distance of decleration, which increases the time of deceleration, which decreases the rate of decleration, which decreases the force. 2 - spreads the point of impact over a larger area.

5. Jun 25, 2008 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Argghh, typo and now I can't edit it.

6. Jun 25, 2008 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I fixed it for you. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?