1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics of Checking in Hockey

1. Apr 9, 2007 #1
    Can someone please help me in describing the physics surrounding a mid-ice check. Im using Chara(118kg, 10m/s) hitting Crosby(87kg, 0m/s).
    I just need to know the mechanics(forces and energy) without using very complicated terms.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2007 #2
    without using complicated terms? ummm well what level physics do you have?

Basically rotational /Translational/Friction based forces. Draw a skeleton of the body and start from there and draw allt he forces. Maybe account for some fluid based air circulation on the rink.
  4. Apr 9, 2007 #3
    as in grade 10 terms so none of those subjects, more like simple forces and enegry...newtons laws...
  5. Apr 9, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Is this homework, by any chance?
  6. Apr 9, 2007 #5
    ummm mayb :p
  7. Apr 9, 2007 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Ok, well in future note that we have homework forums. Also, the guidelines state that we cannot help you until you show some work. So, what physics do you know that will apply in this situation? What do you know about conservation theorems?
  8. Apr 9, 2007 #7
    Haha, I like his approach. Next time I have a physics question I think I will do something like, what would Goldberg's (4 kg) energy be when he plays hockey on a rink (surface cylinder) with his coach at the origin pushing him with a stick (force -kr)?

Anyway, Jaramia, as cristo points out your first inclination should be conservation of momentum.
  9. Apr 10, 2007 #8
    umm can someone relate this to the newtons laws?
  10. Apr 10, 2007 #9
    draw the hockey check as a stick figure animation of two players,make sure to include the joints.

And then apply what you know about newtons laws.
  11. Apr 12, 2007 #10
    what formula would you use for this considering it is an elastic collision...to find the final velocity of Crosby (using the info in my initial post)
  12. Apr 12, 2007 #11
    or acctually if someone can find a formula to the force pushing on crosby without using momentum
  13. Apr 12, 2007 #12
    write down wghat equations u know
  14. Apr 15, 2007 #13
    wow this place has alot of good help...
  15. Apr 15, 2007 #14

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Jaramia; here at PF we will help you with your homework, but will not do it for you! You have not shown any work, or any attempt at even stating useful laws to date, although various people have asked you to. If you show some work, we will try our best to help you, but if you're not willing to do anything to help yourself, then why should someone help you?
  16. Apr 16, 2007 #15
    This is what I have wrote so far, i just need to know if i am generally correct in my physics terms, keep in mind that this is a simplistic grade 10 course...
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?