Exploring the Physics of a Mid-Ice Check in Hockey

• Thread starter Jaramia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, Jaramia is trying to understand the physics behind a mid-ice check. He is using a character, Chara, to hit Crosby. He needs to know the forces and energy involved without using complicated terms. He starts by drawing a skeleton of the body and then accounts for fluid based air circulation. He applies Newton's laws to find the final velocity of Crosby. Finally, he asks for help from the community and states that he is generally correct in his physics terms.
Jaramia
Can someone please help me in describing the physics surrounding a mid-ice check. I am using Chara(118kg, 10m/s) hitting Crosby(87kg, 0m/s).
I just need to know the mechanics(forces and energy) without using very complicated terms.

Physics news on Phys.org
without using complicated terms? ummm well what level physics do you have?

Basically rotational /Translational/Friction based forces. Draw a skeleton of the body and start from there and draw allt he forces. Maybe account for some fluid based air circulation on the rink.

as in grade 10 terms so none of those subjects, more like simple forces and enegry...Newtons laws...

Is this homework, by any chance?

ummm mayb :p

Jaramia said:
ummm mayb :p

Ok, well in future note that we have homework forums. Also, the guidelines state that we cannot help you until you show some work. So, what physics do you know that will apply in this situation? What do you know about conservation theorems?

Haha, I like his approach. Next time I have a physics question I think I will do something like, what would Goldberg's (4 kg) energy be when he plays hockey on a rink (surface cylinder) with his coach at the origin pushing him with a stick (force -kr)?

Anyway, Jaramia, as cristo points out your first inclination should be conservation of momentum.

umm can someone relate this to the Newtons laws?

draw the hockey check as a stick figure animation of two players,make sure to include the joints.

And then apply what you know about Newtons laws.

what formula would you use for this considering it is an elastic collision...to find the final velocity of Crosby (using the info in my initial post)

or acctually if someone can find a formula to the force pushing on crosby without using momentum

write down wghat equations u know

wow this place has a lot of good help...

Jaramia said:
wow this place has a lot of good help...

Jaramia; here at PF we will help you with your homework, but will not do it for you! You have not shown any work, or any attempt at even stating useful laws to date, although various people have asked you to. If you show some work, we will try our best to help you, but if you're not willing to do anything to help yourself, then why should someone help you?

This is what I have wrote so far, i just need to know if i am generally correct in my physics terms, keep in mind that this is a simplistic grade 10 course...

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of checking in hockey?

The purpose of checking in hockey is to legally use physical force to separate an opponent from the puck or to gain control of the puck. It is a defensive tactic used to disrupt the opposing team's play and create scoring opportunities.

2. How is the physics of force involved in checking?

Checking involves the application of force, which is a fundamental concept in physics. The force applied by a player's body or stick is what determines the outcome of the check. The amount of force, direction, and area of contact all play a role in the physics of checking.

3. What are the potential dangers of checking in hockey?

The potential dangers of checking in hockey include injuries such as concussions, broken bones, and spinal injuries. This is because checking involves high-speed collisions and impacts, which can cause significant harm to players if done incorrectly or without proper protection.

4. How does momentum affect checking in hockey?

Momentum, which is the product of an object's mass and velocity, plays a crucial role in checking. The greater the momentum of a player, the more force they can generate during a check. This is why players often skate towards each other before making a check, to increase their momentum and impact.

5. Are there any rules or regulations regarding checking in hockey?

Yes, there are specific rules and regulations in place to govern checking in hockey. For example, there are rules against checking from behind or above the shoulder, as these can result in serious injuries. There are also penalties for illegal checks, such as charging or boarding, to ensure the safety of all players on the ice.