Physics of Quantum Entanglement

In summary, Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon where two or more particles are correlated in such a way that they cannot be described independently. This was first discussed in the EPR paper, but there have been many advances in the field since then, including the process of generating entangled photons through down conversion. Other ways of creating entangled pairs have also been demonstrated, but there are limitations on the efficiency of the entanglement process. It is possible to entangle dissimilar particles, but it depends on the type of interaction between them. Every quantum property is capable of being entangled, as entanglement occurs when we consider a single wave function to describe multiple particles.
UltrafastPED
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I learned the principles of quantum physics and the basic mathematical techniques quite some time ago. The only discussion of quantum entanglement concerned the EPR paper. There have been many advances in the field since that time, including the somewhat mysterious phenomenon of quantum teleportation.

My background is primarily optics, ultrafast laser applications, ultrahigh vacuum systems, photo-electron beams, electron microscopy, some materials science, grown carbon nanotubes ... designing and building systems, plus a lot of industrial applications.

I understand the process for generating entangled photons by means of down conversion, though it is a very inefficient process. In this case the initial photon is replaced by a pair while conserving total energy and momentum. The entanglement process occurs when the two photons are "created".

My current understanding of the physics of quantum entanglement is that the entangled quantum particles must share a superposition of states.

Question #0: Is it true that every set of quantum entangled particles must be in a superposition of states?

Question #1: is the act of particle creation the only way to create entangled pairs?
Question #1.a: what other ways have been demonstrated?
Question #1.b: what limits the efficiency of the entanglement "process"?

Question #2: Is it possible to entangle dissimilar particles - e.g., a neutron and a photon?

In the EPR paper only conserved properties were entangled. But there are many quantum observables; each observable corresponds to a definite quantum state - many are discrete, but others are continuous. Some represent conserved quantities, others may not.

Question #3: Is every quantum property capable of being entangled?

It may be convenient to lock this thread, and then I will ask the individual questions one at a time, referring back to this as a common starting point for my continuing education.

Physics news on Phys.org
UltrafastPED said:
Question #0: Is it true that every set of quantum entangled particles must be in a superposition of states?

An old definition of an entangled state is that it cannot be written as a product state in any basis. By this definition, it must be a superposition of product states in every basis. A basis-independent measure of this type of entanglement is the entanglement entropy, which is the von Neumann entropy of the reduced density matrix of one of the subsystems.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropy_of_entanglement

However, there are other questions like do we really need two particles to have entanglement? And it seems from those ideas that one can define entanglement in a basis dependent way.
http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0507189
http://arxiv.org/abs/1302.3509

UltrafastPED said:
Question #1: is the act of particle creation the only way to create entangled pairs?
Question #1.b: what limits the efficiency of the entanglement "process"

One can entangle two particles by having them interact. For example, the ground state of many condensed matter systems are entangled.
http://arxiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0701055
http://arxiv.org/abs/0808.3773

There are some limitations on entanglement, for example, entangelement must be "monogamous". http://www.quantiki.org/wiki/Monogamy_of_entanglement

There are also some bounds on entangling rates depending on the interaction.
http://arxiv.org/abs/0704.0964
http://arxiv.org/abs/1304.5931

UltrafastPED said:
Question #2: Is it possible to entangle dissimilar particles - e.g., a neutron and a photon?

In principle, yes, if you can get them to interact in the right way.

Last edited:
UltrafastPED said:
Yes, but that's not saying much when you consider that any pure state is a superposition in some basis. For example, "spin up" is not a superposition in the up/down basis, but it is a superposition in the left/right basis - it's the same state either way.

Question #1.b: what limits the efficiency of the entanglement "process"?
1) No. For example, if I collide two particles in a way that could change the angular momentum of either individual particle, conservation of angular momentum requires that they they be entangled until I measure the angular momentum of one of them. Similar considerations will apply in any other interaction that produces two related measurable quantities.

Yes, in principle. In practice, I'm not sure what interaction could produce such a state.

Question #3: Is every quantum property capable of being entangled?
Yes. A quantum system, even one that contains multiple particles (the easy entanglement examples all use two particles) is always represented by a single wave function. Entanglement is what happens when we choose to think of that one wave function as describing multiple independent particles.

Consider, for example, an ordinary six-sided die like craps players throw... It is clear that the die is a single (classical) object, but if I choose to consider the values on the various sides as independent measurable quantities, I will find that these values are entangled - if I observe the value on one face to be N I know that the value on the other face will be 7-N. This would be very weird if I insist in thinking of each face of the die as an independent object, but makes sense if I think in terms of a single six-sided object instead of six independent objects.

1. What is quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon in which two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other, regardless of the distance between them.

2. How does quantum entanglement work?

Quantum entanglement occurs when two particles interact and become entangled, meaning their properties become correlated. This connection remains even when the particles are separated, and any change to one particle's state will affect the other.

3. What are the applications of quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement has potential applications in quantum computing, cryptography, and teleportation. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics.

4. Can quantum entanglement be observed in everyday life?

No, quantum entanglement is a phenomenon that can only be observed on the microscopic level. It requires highly controlled conditions and specialized equipment to create and measure entangled particles.

5. How does quantum entanglement relate to Einstein's theory of relativity?

Quantum entanglement challenges Einstein's theory of relativity, which states that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. Since entangled particles can affect each other instantaneously, regardless of distance, this goes against the idea of a finite speed limit in the universe.