1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics or Geophysics

1. Nov 23, 2014 #1
    Hi. I'm an argentinean that's 5 days away of graduating from high school. I love physics but I'm doubting on getting a physics degree because of the limited laboral field. I feel that I'd be unhappy if I don't study physics but I'll be even more unhappy if I become a physicist that has to dedicate her life to education to have an income. My other option in geophysics, a field that's not away from physics and can be very profitable in the energy industry. I got rid of the idea of geophysics because I thought that I can master on it after studying physics, but I'm very confused. If you have any information that can be useful for me please provide it to me.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2014 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Someone with a physics degree could get a job in the energy industry. I knew a physics major who ended up doing well-logging for an exploration company. Certainly geophysics would be useful to oil or mineral exploration and development company.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  4. Nov 24, 2014 #3

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It's fairly common to do an undergraduate degree in physics and then specialize in geophysics for graduate school.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook