Physics or Geophysics: Graduate's Dilemma

In summary, the speaker is an Argentinian high school student who loves physics but is unsure about pursuing a degree in it due to limited job opportunities. They are also considering geophysics as an alternative, which could be more profitable in the energy industry. The speaker is seeking information and advice on the potential career paths for someone with a physics degree.
angiepadron
Hi. I'm an argentinean that's 5 days away of graduating from high school. I love physics but I'm doubting on getting a physics degree because of the limited laboral field. I feel that I'd be unhappy if I don't study physics but I'll be even more unhappy if I become a physicist that has to dedicate her life to education to have an income. My other option in geophysics, a field that's not away from physics and can be very profitable in the energy industry. I got rid of the idea of geophysics because I thought that I can master on it after studying physics, but I'm very confused. If you have any information that can be useful for me please provide it to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Someone with a physics degree could get a job in the energy industry. I knew a physics major who ended up doing well-logging for an exploration company. Certainly geophysics would be useful to oil or mineral exploration and development company.

Last edited:
It's fairly common to do an undergraduate degree in physics and then specialize in geophysics for graduate school.

1. What is the difference between physics and geophysics?

Physics is a broad field of science that explores the fundamental laws and principles governing matter, energy, and the interactions between them. Geophysics is a subfield of physics that specifically focuses on the study of the Earth's physical properties and processes.

2. Which field has better job prospects for graduates?

Both physics and geophysics have promising job prospects for graduates. Physics graduates can find employment in a variety of industries, including technology, engineering, and research. Geophysics graduates have opportunities in industries such as oil and gas, environmental consulting, and natural resource management.

3. Is it necessary to have a graduate degree in order to work in physics or geophysics?

While a graduate degree can potentially open up more job opportunities and higher paying positions, it is not always necessary for employment in these fields. Many entry-level positions in physics and geophysics only require a bachelor's degree, but a graduate degree may be required for more advanced research or teaching roles.

4. What are some common research areas within physics and geophysics?

Some common research areas in physics include astrophysics, quantum mechanics, and particle physics. In geophysics, common research areas include seismology, geodynamics, and environmental geophysics.

5. Can I pursue a career in both physics and geophysics?

Yes, it is possible to have a career that combines both physics and geophysics. Many jobs in geophysics require a strong background in physics, and some companies may hire individuals who have degrees in both fields. Additionally, graduate programs in geophysics often allow students to specialize in a specific area, such as geophysics with a focus on planetary science or geophysics with a focus on atmospheric physics.