Auto & Truck Movements: Solving for Overtaking Distance & Speed

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of an automobile starting at a constant acceleration of 2.2 m/s^2 at the instant the traffic light turns green. At the same time, a truck traveling at a constant speed of 9.5 m/s overtakes and passes the automobile. The conversation also mentions two questions: (a) how far beyond the traffic signal will the automobile overtake the truck? and (b) how fast will the automobile be traveling at that instant? The participants discuss using kinematic formulas to solve the problem, with one formula involving accelerated motion and the other involving constant speed motion. Through their discussion, they derive the formula x=(2v^2)/a and use it to answer (a
PhilosophyofPhysics
"At the instant the traffic light turns green, an automobile starts with a constant acceleration a of 2.2 m/s^2. At the same instant a truck, traveling with a constant speed of 9.5 m/s, overtakes and passes the automobile. (a). How far beyond the traffic signal will the automobile overtake the truck? (b). How fast will the automobile be traveling at that instant?"

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by writing the kinematic formulas describing the distance of each as a function of time. One formula will involve accelerated motion; the other, constant speed motion.

hmm... I really think I have lost brain cells or something. In the back of the book it has the answers (a). 82m (b). 19 m/s

I get 82m if I use x=(2v^2)/a. But, I'm not sure how to derive that formula.

For the (b), I used v^2 = Vinitial^2 +2a(X-Xinitial) and got 19 m/s

The first equation is derived from the one you used in b.

whozum said:
The first equation is derived from the one you used in b.

oh wow, you're right. I never thought that a times x was just v^2. I was not thinking of the dimensions.

So after moving v initial over to the other side, I had delta V^2 = 2 v^2

Then i broke up delta V^2 into v times v. I change one of those into x/1 and 1/t. I combined v and 1/t to get a. So now I had a times x = 2v^2.

I get the first equation of my previous post after dividing by a on both sides.

x = (2v^2)/a

thanks, to both of you

1. What is overtaking distance and speed in terms of auto and truck movements?

Overtaking distance and speed refers to the distance and speed at which a vehicle (such as a car or truck) must travel in order to safely pass another vehicle on the road.

2. Why is it important to calculate overtaking distance and speed?

Calculating overtaking distance and speed is important because it ensures the safety of both the passing vehicle and the vehicle being passed. It also helps to prevent accidents and promotes efficient traffic flow on the road.

3. What factors are involved in calculating overtaking distance and speed?

The main factors involved in calculating overtaking distance and speed include the speed of both vehicles, the distance between the two vehicles, the acceleration and deceleration rates of the vehicles, and the length of the passing lane (if applicable).

4. How can scientists and engineers determine the appropriate overtaking distance and speed for different types of vehicles?

Scientists and engineers use mathematical equations and models to determine the appropriate overtaking distance and speed for different types of vehicles. They consider factors such as the weight and size of the vehicles, their aerodynamics, and their braking capabilities.

5. Are there any other important considerations when calculating overtaking distance and speed?

Yes, other important considerations include road conditions, weather conditions, and the presence of any obstacles or other vehicles on the road. These factors can affect the safety and feasibility of passing another vehicle.