Physics related career for Computer Science graduate?

In summary, the individual holds an Engineering Degree in Computer Science and has 1.5 years of experience as a programmer. They regret not exploring other career options and now wish to work in a scientific/academic environment. They were better at physics in high school but have lost touch since joining college. They have been admitted to KTH Royal for MS in Embedded Systems and are expecting an admit from University of Oulu for MS in Signal Processing & Computer Vision. They seek advice on which program would give them a better chance to work in physics related research environments and if that is not possible, they wish to continue in academia. Their personal opinion is that Signal Processing/Computer Vision will help them in jobs like analyzing experimental data.
svkaushik
I hold an Engineering Degree with major in Computer Science and have 1.5 years experience as programmer. Being an Indian, I was pushed into Engineering and didn't know much about other career options back in 2008. Now I feel I should have taken up Physics. I abhor a mundane IT job. I wish to work in some scientific/academic environment (CERN or NASA :P). Not being a pumpous guy, but the truth is that I was really good at physics in High school than my peers. Since I joined college for B.E., I lost touch.

Right now I got admit from KTH Royal for MS in Embedded Systems, and expecting an admit from University of Oulu for MS in Signal processing & Computer vision. I need advice on which programme will give me better chance to work in physics related research environments. In case it is never possible, I wish to continue in academia (I started to hate being a s/w developer). My personal opinion is that Signal Processing/Computer Vision will help me fetch jobs like analyzing experimental data etc. We have too many embedded engineers these days.

Thanks in advance for you valuable advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

My guess is the signal processing and computer vision would be more physics oriented.

Thank you jedishrfu :)

What is a physics related career for a computer science graduate?

A physics related career for a computer science graduate is a job that combines both physics principles and computer science skills. This could include fields such as computational physics, data analysis, or scientific programming.

What skills are important for a physics related career for a computer science graduate?

Some important skills for a physics related career for a computer science graduate include a strong understanding of physics concepts, proficiency in programming languages, data analysis skills, and critical thinking and problem-solving abilities.

What job opportunities are available for a computer science graduate in the physics field?

There are a variety of job opportunities available for computer science graduates in the physics field, such as software engineer for a physics research institution, data analyst for a physics laboratory, or scientific programmer for a physics company.

What education and training is required for a physics related career for a computer science graduate?

In addition to a degree in computer science, a physics related career may require additional education and training in physics principles and theories. This could include taking physics courses or pursuing a graduate degree in a specific field of physics.

What are the benefits of pursuing a physics related career for a computer science graduate?

A physics related career for a computer science graduate can offer a unique blend of skills and knowledge, as well as the opportunity to work on cutting-edge research and technology. It can also lead to a fulfilling and challenging career with a competitive salary and potential for growth and advancement.