1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Riding a loop-the-loop?

1. Oct 19, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A car in an amusement park ride rolls without friction around the track it starts from rest at a point A from height H above the bottom of the loop. treat the car as a particle. what is the minimum value of height (in terms of R radius)such that the car doesn't fall off the very top of the ramp.

2. Relevant equations

E=mgh
    gravity constant
    Fc=.5mv^2
    K=.5mv^2

3. The attempt at a solution

i dont really know where to start but ill give it a shot.
    2R is the height of the

so mgh-mg2R= 1/2mv^2

i dont really know what else to do -_-

since mgh-mg2R=1/2mv^2 could you assume that v approaches 0 then mgh=mg2R which makes sense to me because if the surface is frictionless then energy is being conserved so does this mean if the height from which it came = the height of what it needed to go to?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2011 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

You don't want to merely get the cart back up to the top of the loop-the-loop, you want it to stay on the track, so it has to have a specific speed [at least] so the hill will need to be higher. How much higher is the question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook