Physics rollercoaster track engineering

In summary, the person is asking for input on the structural integrity of using clear plastic tubing with wire lining for a miniature rollercoaster. They are considering half or quartering the tubing to expose more of the ball bearing, but are concerned about the tubing becoming too flimsy. They only have a limited amount of tubing and do not want to waste it. It is mentioned that the tubing may not maintain its circular shape when bent in different directions.
mike_302
Hi,

I've posteed about this rollercoaster already, so some of you may or may not recognize the whole idea but basically I have to construct a miniature rollercoaster for a ball bearing to run through. Now, my question here is much much differnt. I'm not looking for ideas or design tips, but rather, structural integrity input.

I'm using 1 inch (the hole in the center) clear plastic tubing that has wire lining the walls inside of a thick rubber wall, so as a full tube, the stuff is VERY strong, not SUPER easy to bend, but it will still bend without kinking. My question is this: If I were to half (or even quarter) the tubing in order to see at least half of the bearing above the walls of the "rollercoaster" track/tubing, would this tubing become extrmely flimsy t the point that I cannot use it? The thing is, I only have 70 feet of it in total so i don't want to risk wasting any of it, and plus, it's expensive stuff.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It won't be flimsy, but what will probably happen is that the walls will not keep a nice semi circular shape like you would want. There will not be anything to hold the circular cross section shape when you bend it in any other direction. You can prove this by using a small piece and trying it. It would probably be OK for a straight section if you have one.

Hi there,

Structural integrity is definitely an important factor to consider when designing a rollercoaster track. In general, the thicker and sturdier the material, the less likely it is to bend or break under stress. So, if you were to quarter or halve the tubing, it would definitely make it more flimsy and potentially less stable for the ball bearing to run through.

However, there are other ways to provide support and stability for the track. You could consider adding additional support structures, such as metal rods or braces, along the track to help distribute the weight and prevent bending. You could also experiment with different materials, such as thicker plastic or metal tubing, to see which provides the best balance of strength and flexibility for your project.

It's also important to consider the weight and velocity of the ball bearing as it travels through the track. If it is too heavy or moving too fast, it could put extra stress on the track and cause it to bend or break. So, be sure to test the track with different weights and speeds to ensure its stability.

In summary, while halving or quartering the tubing may make it more flimsy, there are ways to provide additional support and stability for the track. It may require some experimentation and testing, but with careful planning and consideration of structural integrity, you should be able to construct a successful and sturdy rollercoaster track. Good luck with your project!

What is the purpose of physics rollercoaster track engineering?

The purpose of physics rollercoaster track engineering is to design and construct rollercoaster tracks that provide riders with a thrilling and safe experience. This involves understanding the principles of physics, such as gravity, acceleration, and forces, to create a track that allows the coaster to move smoothly and safely.

What are the key factors considered in physics rollercoaster track engineering?

Some key factors that are considered in physics rollercoaster track engineering include the height and steepness of the track, the shape and size of the curves, the forces acting on the riders, and the overall speed and acceleration of the coaster. These factors must be carefully balanced to ensure a fun and safe ride.

How does physics play a role in rollercoaster track design?

Physics is essential in rollercoaster track design as it helps engineers understand how forces and motion affect the ride experience. By applying principles of physics, engineers can determine the best track layout, materials, and design elements to create an exciting and safe ride for passengers.

What are the safety measures taken in physics rollercoaster track engineering?

Safety is a top priority in physics rollercoaster track engineering. Engineers use computer simulations and physical testing to ensure the track can withstand the forces of the coaster and maintain structural integrity. Additionally, safety features such as restraints, brakes, and emergency systems are designed and implemented to keep riders safe.

What advancements have been made in physics rollercoaster track engineering?

Over the years, advancements in materials and technology have greatly impacted physics rollercoaster track engineering. The use of steel and other lightweight materials has allowed for more creative and complex track designs. Computer-aided design (CAD) software has also improved the precision and accuracy of track design, resulting in smoother and more thrilling rides.