Which Physics Books Would Be Best for Self-Study?

In summary, the author is considering switching to a joint math/physics degree in year 2 and is looking for advice on what to study first. He has a strong physics background and is able to solve a few math olympiad problems, but is less familiar with higher level mathematics. He recommends starting with a book that is dense but easy to understand, like Kleppner, Morin, or Purcell, and then adding on more problems as needed.
Puddle
Hello, I just finished high school and will be starting a math degree next year. However, I have recently become interested in physics and am thinking of switching to a joint math/physics degree in year 2, so I will want to spend my first year privately studying some select physics books.

My physics background is as follows. I know units 1-4 http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/specifications/alevel/AQA-2450-W-SP-14.PDF and the mechanics 1-3 units http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/75811-specification.pdf , and that's about it. However, I have a strong discrete math/problem solving background and am able to solve several math olympiad problems -- including a few IMO problems (primarily algebra and number theory). I know math up to calculus, as taught in Apostol's two calculus volumes.

I have looked around and decided that a reasonable sequence of books to study would be: kleppner --> morin --> purcell, but I am highly open to recommendations; for instance, I've heard good things about the Feynman lectures. I would say I learn best with books that explain the material clearly (and rigorously, so including mathematical proofs where possible) and include very challenging problems. I prefer thick comprehensive books to ones that cover many topics at once (so called "general physics" books). I think I learn best when I learn one topic at a time deeply rather than many topics at a time and less deeply, which is why I tend to stay away from books like Halliday/Resnick (I've tried learning from this one in the past but it didn't go well).

Looking forward to any advice I can get. (:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do not use it entirely by itself, but do consider reading the Feynman lectures along with whatever book you do go with. It's available for free on Caltech's website. Its (major) drawback is that it doesn't have any practice problems, but it's an excellent read.

That said, higher level mathematics like analysis, abstract algebra, and set theory is never used in freshman-junior level physics courses. The most you'll need for introductory physics is single-variable calculus, and then if you know multivariable calculus and differential equations, you could go into classical mechanics and electromagnetism.

Unfortunately, I used Halliday and Resnick for my intro physics courses, so they would be my first suggestion. I'm sure others here will have some good intro books to suggest.

Likes Puddle
Thank you for your reply axmls; it's good to know that I won't be needing the fancier advanced math topics because I will be learning those next year and wanted to start learning physics as soon as possible. I will probably be getting the Feynman lectures box set soon as they seem to be quite fundamental for learning the subject well. Looking forward to more replies. (:

I haven't read Morin (except a few chapters) but the problems are exceptionally good. If you can do the 3/4 star problems in that book, you will definitely have a solid understanding.

Quote from the preface:
David Morin said:
Just to warn you, even if you understand the material in the text backwards and forwards, the four-star (and many of the three-star) problems will still be extremely challenging. But that’s how it should be. My goal was to create an unreachable upper bound on the number (and difficulty) of problems, because it would be an unfortunate circumstance, indeed, if you were left twiddling your thumbs, having run out of problems to solve. I hope I have succeeded.
For the problems you choose to work on, be careful not to look at the solution too soon. There is nothing wrong with putting a problem aside for a while and coming back to it later. Indeed, this is probably the best way to approach things. If you head to the solution at the first sign of not being able to solve a problem, then you have wasted the problem.

In my opinion the problems are the main attraction for that book (the writing is also good, from what I've read, but the problems are the real fun).

Again, I've only explored the first half of that book (and for some chapters I just went straight to the problems) so I can't make a full review of the book. Just wanted to let you know that this is a book for people who enjoy solving tricky problems.

Likes Puddle
Puddle said:
I have looked around and decided that a reasonable sequence of books to study would be: kleppner --> morin --> purcell, but I am highly open to recommendations;
Morin is a problem book, you can use it concurrently with Kleppner as a source of extra problems if you want. Alternatively, you can jump into Purcell right after Kleppner.
However, these books are very physical so do not count on seeing a lot of mathematical proofs there. For a mechanics book with a mathematical inclination I have seen https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521534097/?tag=pfamazon01-20 being recommended here.

Likes Puddle
Wow, thanks for the informative quote Nathanael -- seems like this book was made for me! And thanks for your advice montadhar, the two books look like they make a good combination. I don't mind physical reasoning at all; what I meant by mathematical proofs was that I prefer equations to be derived rather than just stated as they are in the rubbish school textbooks I've been using.

Last edited:
Puddle said:
Wow, thanks for the informative quote Nathanael -- seems like this book was made for me! And thanks for your advice montadhar, the two books look like they make a good combination. I don't mind physical reasoning at all; what I meant by mathematical proofs was that I prefer equations to be derived rather than just stated as they are in the rubbish school textbooks I've been using.
Then these books will have what you want, you will love them if you like challenging yourself :smile: The Feynman lectures are very insightful, I think they would make the most impact by reading the corresponding chapter in them after finishing the problems of that chapter in your main textbooks. However, I would be interested to see what the others' experiences are with them.

Likes Puddle

1. What are the benefits of self-studying physics?

The benefits of self-studying physics include improved critical thinking and problem-solving skills, a deeper understanding of fundamental concepts, and the ability to learn at your own pace.

2. Can I teach myself physics without any prior knowledge?

While prior knowledge in math and science can be helpful, it is possible to teach yourself physics without any prior knowledge. However, it may require more time and effort to fully grasp the concepts.

3. How should I structure my self-study plan for physics?

A good self-study plan for physics should include setting specific goals, breaking down topics into manageable chunks, using a variety of resources such as textbooks and online tutorials, and regularly testing yourself with practice problems.

4. What are some recommended resources for self-studying physics?

Some recommended resources for self-studying physics include textbooks such as "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, online lectures and tutorials from websites like Khan Academy and MIT OpenCourseWare, and practice problems from textbooks or online sources.

5. How can I stay motivated while self-studying physics?

To stay motivated while self-studying physics, it can be helpful to set achievable goals, take breaks when needed, find a study partner or join a study group, and remind yourself of the practical applications and real-world relevance of the concepts you are learning.