What Should Be Included in AS-Level Physics Sensor Coursework?

In summary, the conversation is about a physics sensor coursework that is due on January 10th, 2007. The project involves making a sensor, conducting research, and taking readings. The speaker has completed the practical portion but still needs to do the writing, planning, and graphs. They are asking for help on what should be included in the contents, such as aims, plans, and graphs. They also mention upcoming exams and suggest checking the exam board website for specifications.
john89
Physics sensor coursework!

hi ppl, i am doing physics as-level, and we got this project due the tenth of january 2007. we have to make a sensor and do some research on it and do some readings and things like that. for example, this guy did frequency of a soundspeaker, heat sensor and the temperature, oscilloscopes and frequencies and many more like that. i have done the practical bit, but now i have to do all the writing, planning, graphs and all the rest.so i am asking people if they know what will come in the contents? like everything that needs to be there. for example, i know aims, plans, graphs must be there, anything else? please tell me and is anyone else doing this coursework.it's for as-level physics. thanks and we also got exams coming up, so please help, bye

Physics news on Phys.org
If you go onto the exam board website they give you the specifications for free which will tell you exactly what you need to cover in your report.

Hello! It sounds like you have an interesting and challenging project ahead of you. I can assure you that coursework like this is a great opportunity to learn and apply your knowledge of physics.

In terms of the content that should be included in your coursework, it will depend on the specific requirements of your project. However, some general elements that you should consider including are:

1. Introduction: This should provide some background information on the sensor you have chosen to build and why it is important in the field of physics.

2. Aims and Objectives: Clearly state the goals and objectives of your project.

3. Methodology: Describe the methods you used to build and test your sensor. This should include any equipment or materials you used, as well as any procedures you followed.

4. Results: Present the data you collected from your sensor readings in the form of tables, graphs, or charts. Make sure to label your figures clearly and provide a brief explanation of what they show.

5. Analysis: Interpret your results and discuss any patterns or trends that you observed. Compare your findings to what is expected based on your knowledge of physics.

6. Conclusion: Summarize your findings and discuss the implications of your results. Did your sensor perform as expected? Were there any limitations or sources of error in your experiment?

7. References: If you used any external sources in your research, make sure to cite them properly in your coursework.

In addition to these elements, you may also want to include a literature review, which involves researching and summarizing what others have already done in the field of your sensor. This will help you contextualize your own work and demonstrate your understanding of the topic.

I hope this helps you get started on your coursework. Good luck with your project and your upcoming exams!

1. How does a physics sensor work?

A physics sensor works by detecting physical quantities such as temperature, pressure, or motion and converting them into electrical signals. These signals are then processed and analyzed to provide data about the physical phenomenon being measured.

2. What types of physics sensors are commonly used in coursework?

Some common types of physics sensors used in coursework include temperature sensors, pressure sensors, motion sensors, and light sensors. These sensors can be either analog or digital and may use different principles such as thermocouples, piezoelectric materials, or photoresistors to measure physical quantities.

3. How are physics sensors calibrated?

Physics sensors are calibrated by comparing their readings to known values or standards. This can be done using calibration equipment or through a calibration procedure provided by the sensor manufacturer. Regular calibration ensures the accuracy and reliability of the sensor's measurements.

4. What are the practical applications of physics sensors?

Physics sensors have a wide range of practical applications in areas such as industry, healthcare, and research. They can be used to monitor and control processes, measure environmental conditions, gather data for scientific experiments, and much more.

5. How can I use physics sensors in my coursework?

There are many ways to incorporate physics sensors into coursework, depending on your specific field of study. You can use them to collect data for experiments, analyze real-world phenomena, or build projects that demonstrate their principles. Consult with your instructor for specific ideas and guidelines on incorporating physics sensors into your coursework.