Physics springs and friction

In summary, the object moves a total of .5 meters after touching the spring. The spring constant is .5 meters/meter/second.
rileyjah
Friction/Springs/HELP!
An object of mass m=2.6 kg is traveling on a horizontal surface. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the object and the surface is µk=0.16. The object has speed v=0.65 m/s when it reaches x=0 and encounters a spring. The object compresses the spring a distance d/2, stops instantaneously, and then travels back to x=0 where it stops completely. Eventually you will be asked to find the spring constant, k.

1.What is the total distance, d, that the object moves after first touching the spring?
2.When the object reaches d/2 and stops instantaneously, what is the energy stored in the spring?
3.What is the spring constant, k, of the spring?

I just tried to post w/ my entire attempt at a soln ad somehow lost it- so here's a quick version.

1. I got this correct- Wfriction=mv^2/2=-mgukd, solve for d gives correct answer
2. KEspring+Espring=KEi+ Wfriction
Espring= KEi- KEspring+Wfriction=.5mv2-0-mgukd
not correct answer, this is where I feel very confused
3. Espring=-k*d ?

DO I have to use Kf+Uf+deltaEth=Ki+Ui+Wext to solve this problem beacuse friction is non-conservative... if so how?

Physics news on Phys.org

Ok, I know how to get 2. So how do I get the spring constant, F=-k*X, but what is F??/

The work required to compress a spring is (1/2)kx2 where x is the compression in meters and k is the spring constant. If you figured the energy to compress the spring then you can solve for it, yes?

rileyjah said:
Ok, I know how to get 2. So how do I get the spring constant, F=-k*X, but what is F??/
the energy stored in the spring is equal to the work done on it, (F_avg)(displacement). F is 0 when it just starts to compress, and F is kx when it's compressed to its maximum. So calculate (F_avg), and multiply it by the spring displacement, to get the stored energy, a well known equation.

Thank you all I got it now ;)

What is a spring in physics?

A spring is a type of mechanical device that is used to store and release energy. It is made up of a coiled or compressed material, such as metal, that can stretch and compress when a force is applied to it. In physics, springs are often used to study the relationship between force and displacement, known as Hooke's Law.

How does a spring work in physics?

In physics, a spring works by exerting a restoring force when it is stretched or compressed. This restoring force is proportional to the amount of displacement from its original position, according to Hooke's Law. The spring will continue to oscillate back and forth until the forces acting upon it are balanced.

What factors affect the spring constant in physics?

The spring constant, also known as the force constant, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It is affected by several factors including the material and shape of the spring, the number of coils, and the diameter of the coils. The higher the spring constant, the stiffer the spring and the more force is required to stretch or compress it.

What is friction in physics?

In physics, friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces that are in contact with each other. It is caused by the microscopic roughness of surfaces and the interlocking of irregularities. Friction can either be static, when two surfaces are not moving relative to each other, or kinetic, when there is relative motion between the two surfaces.

How does friction affect motion in physics?

In physics, friction has a significant impact on motion. It can slow down or stop the movement of an object and can also cause an object to slide or roll. Friction converts kinetic energy into thermal energy, leading to a loss of energy in a system. In some cases, friction can be beneficial, such as in the case of car brakes, where it helps to slow down the vehicle and prevent accidents.