Where to Buy Physics Equipment for DIY Projects?

In summary, the conversation is about purchasing physics equipment for a personal project. The person is looking for websites that sell physics products and some suggestions are given, including Edmunds Scientific, Carolina Scientific, Sargent Welch, and Sci-toys. The conversation also mentions the importance of getting a good Fluke meter and the benefits of using frictionless surfaces and massless strings and pulleys in demonstrations.
Spoonerz
Hi. I would like to purchase some physics equipments, such as magnets, mirrors, circuits, ammeters/voltmeter, etc., for my own physics project. I don't know where to look. Do you guys know of a website that sells any physics products? Or can only a licensed professional purchase them?

Physics news on Phys.org
I used to use Edmunds Scientific. Also some nice magnet stores on the web.

I think I've heard of such a place... hm... could it be radioshack?

http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/ideal/ideal.htm"
If they don't have it, it doesn't exist.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you are going to get a volt/ammeter, splurge on a decent Fluke meter. My last meter i did not expect to use the features it came with so i nearly degraded, can't tell you how handy being able to read Hz is and the doors it opens to tinkering.

Jimmy Snyder said:

Ooooo, they have a special on frictionless surfaces!

lisab said:
Ooooo, they have a special on frictionless surfaces!

Oh SNAP!

Thay gotz massless strings and pulleys too!

Jimmy Snyder said:
From that site:
Have you ever had a demonstration fail due to non-rigidity of an essential part of your apparatus? This can be both frustrating and embarrassing, but is it a soluble problem!
:bugeye:

Related to Where to Buy Physics Equipment for DIY Projects?

1. Where can I find affordable physics equipment for my DIY projects?

There are several online retailers that specialize in selling affordable physics equipment for DIY projects. Some popular options include Amazon, eBay, and educational supply websites like Edmund Scientific. You can also check with your local university or community college to see if they have surplus equipment for sale.

2. What are some essential physics equipment I will need for DIY projects?

The specific equipment needed will depend on the type of DIY project you are working on. However, some essential items may include a multimeter, breadboard, resistors, capacitors, wires, and a power supply. It is also helpful to have tools such as pliers, wire cutters, and a soldering iron.

3. Are there any reputable online retailers that specialize in selling physics equipment?

Yes, there are several reputable online retailers that specialize in selling physics equipment. Some popular options include Pasco Scientific, Arbor Scientific, and Flinn Scientific. These retailers offer a wide range of equipment for various DIY projects and have a good reputation among scientists and educators.

4. Can I find used physics equipment for DIY projects?

Yes, you can find used physics equipment for DIY projects. Some online retailers, like eBay, offer both new and used options for physics equipment. You can also check with local universities or research institutions to see if they have any surplus equipment available for purchase.

5. Are there any affordable substitute materials for physics equipment?

Yes, there are often affordable substitute materials that can be used for DIY projects. For example, instead of buying expensive resistors, you can use graphite pencils as a substitute. You can also repurpose everyday objects, like cardboard tubes or plastic bottles, for some physics experiments. Doing some research and being creative can help you find affordable alternatives for expensive equipment.