Molecular Energy and Temperature: A Comprehensive Overview

• Thread starter mopar969
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, temperature in physics is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a substance. It is typically measured using a thermometer. Heat, on the other hand, is the total energy of all particles in a substance and is not the same thing as temperature. Negative temperatures are possible in physics, and temperature plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of matter, as it affects the movement and interaction of particles.
mopar969
Temperature is associated with molecular (a) rotational energy, (b) random translational energy, (c) vibrational energy, (d) all of the preceding.

I am pretty sure that the answer is D all of the preceeding but I just wanted to check.

Physics news on Phys.org
i guess d ... but I'm not absolutely sure (just like u.)
thermodymanics is my weak point

Thanks again for the help.

1. What is temperature in physics?

In physics, temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a substance.

2. How is temperature measured in physics?

In physics, temperature is typically measured using a thermometer, which contains a substance that expands or contracts in a predictable way with changes in temperature.

3. What is the difference between temperature and heat in physics?

While temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles, heat is the total energy of all the particles in a substance. Temperature is a measure of the intensity of heat, but they are not the same thing in physics.

4. Can temperature be negative in physics?

Yes, in physics, temperature can be negative. This typically occurs in situations where the particles in a substance have very low kinetic energy, such as in extremely cold environments or in certain laboratory experiments.

5. How does temperature affect the behavior of matter in physics?

In physics, temperature plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of matter. As temperature increases, the average kinetic energy of particles also increases, causing them to move and interact more rapidly. This can lead to changes in the physical properties of matter, such as changes in state (e.g. solid to liquid) or changes in volume.